Chapter 1

"My name is not Betty. It's Biddie. B-i-d-d-i-e."

"What kind of name is that?"

The boy slouching against the porch railing had brown quiffed hair, a silver ring through one dark brown eyebrow, along with too many tattoos to count. He was dressed entirely in black-black T-shirt, black skinny jeans, a black leather jacket and black high-top shoes- and the look in his eyes was pure mean.

"My kind." Biddie said.

She had no intention of telling this creep the story of the name. Just by looking at him, anyone could tell that he'd never understand the sentimental value of being named after her grandmother. Being probably the only almost-sixteen-year-old girl in the country named Biddie, she didn't idealy want him to have even that little bit of ammunition to use against me. Biddie, she thought, was at least dignified-like a corporate executive, which one day I just might be.

"What kind of name is Louis Tomlinson?" Two can play at that game, the boy's face said.

"Mine."

Not an original bone in his perfectly sculpted body, Biddie thought. Louis Tomlinson was famous. He had been kicked out of all of the public schools in Doncaster. She wasn't sure what all he'd done to achieve that particular distinction, but the word around town was that one thing he did was burn down his old school. He'd come to Florida to live with his birth father Mark Austin, a neighbor of the Anderson's, and go to Lehigh Senior High School. But Louis Tomlinson had managed to accomplish that feat in three weeks flat. At least the building was still standing. It was only the middle of September, and he had run out of schools that were willing to risk accepting him.

Mr. Austin was inside at the moment discussing with Biddie's parents,  Aunt Cindy, Uncle Mike, and Grandpa Murray. The arrangement the two families and Louis's social worker had worked out for continuing Louis's education. Louis Tomlinson was the first person Biddie had ever met who had a social worker. She thought that was probably only one step away from having a probation officer, which was what Louis's parents would have when they got out of jail. That was why Louis had a social worker - because his parents were in jail for growing marijuana in their basement and offering some to an off-duty sheriff's deputy.

There's no telling how long they were going to be in jail, but at least a year. Biddie figured criminal tendencies ran in families, being passed down genetically. The kid had burned down his last school just after his parents were arrested. Cindy opened a school within the household, The Creative Academy.  There wasn't even trained teachers, let alone guidance counselors and armed security guards, to maintain this wild child, Louis Tomlinson. There were a whole bunch of buildings kids could burn down at the house - the main house, the shed and the animal pen or barn.

But somehow Cindy had convinced everybody else. Biddie had been the only family member to vote against letting Louis Tomlinson join us. She'd begged her grandfather, who usually had more sense than the rest of our family combined, to put a stop to this illogical idea.

"You know how Aunt Cindy can't ever believe in a bad thing about anybody!" She had told him. "Her attitude about people is downright dangerous"

He'd only twiddled with his gray moustache and said that he rather envied Cindy's bright sided view of things.

"More often than not, I've noticed, it turns out to be true."

Then he had declared that taking Louis Tomlinson in was a noble and socially responsible thing to do. Noble and socially responsible! More like suicidal! I thought that even before I'd laid eyes on Louis, he was bad news. Louis pulled a cigarette out of a pack in his leather jacket.

"Better not light that thing." she warned, thinking about lighters and matches and very large fires.

"You can't have a smoke-free environment outdoors." He replied, sarcasm and annoyance dripping from his words. His lips played into a small smirk while Biddie's tongue tasted of metal at his bad boy actions.

"We can have it anywhere we want - this is OUR property, all sixteen acres of it." she spat back at him.

Louis looked at Biddie square in the eye and lit the cigarette. He took a long drag and blew the smoke directly into her face, he was so close to her face that she had to hold her breath to keep from choking on the smoke. Then he said one of Momma's favorite phrases. No one had managed to break Momma of swearing, Biddie suspected that we wouldn't have any better luck with Louis Tomlinson. 

A/N I don't know how often I'll be uploading, hope you enjoy though! A picture of the character Biddie on the side woohoo

~ swiggity swag ~