Part Seven

Brock
"Emma!," my friends and I exclaim. We race into the room and embrace her. Emma chuckles.
"Hey guys," she says. She hugs us back, and we release her, standing by the edge of her bed.
"How you feeling?," Craig asks. Emma sighs and rubs the side of her head.
"Like crap," she says. "I suppose that's what you'd expect from just passing out though huh?"
"Emma you didn't just pass out," Evan says. "You had a nose bleed. You're veins were apparently leaking. Your were sobbing hysterically in your sleep. Your eyes looked like they'd just come off of a five day old corpse."
Emma's eyes widen, then she glares over our shoulders at the door where the doctor had disappeared. "I wasn't informed of any of this," she growls at the door. She looks back at us and sighs. "Anyways what did the doctor tell you?" Evan tells Emma about the treatment the doctor had prescribed. She groans. "Seriously? Alright then, who's going to be my personal stalker?"
"That's your choice," I say, "but the doctor wants it to be a friend."
"Oh lovely," Emma mutters. "Okay then." She's silent for several minutes, and my friends and I balance on the edge of our toes. After about five minutes, she says, "I guess I'll go with Evan." Evan does a little fist pump out of Emma's view.
As we're leaving the hospital, along with Emma, the doctor stops us. "I just wanted to let Emma and Evan know that I've notified their guardians that they can't attend school for two weeks do to Emma's treatment."
"TWO WEEKS?!," Emma exclaims, while Evan smiles slyly next to her. The doctor nods.
"I've also told them," the doctor says, "that Evan will be staying at Emma's house during this time period."
"There's no way my aunt agreed to a boy in the house," Emma says.
"I beg to differ," the doctor argues. "She said she'd call Evan's parents and schedule a time to pick up his things."
"My parents are out of town," Evan says.
"Well that won't be much of an issue," the doctor says. "She's picking you guys up anyway." Before the doctor can say more, Emma stomps out the door, leaving the rest of us to follow. She plops down on the curb. Evan sits next to her, his hip touching hers. He rubs her back gently, cooing soft words to her.
"It's not going to be as bad as you think," Evan says softly. She must have started crying, because Evan pulls her closer to him, holding her head against his chest. Suddenly, a large black Honda screeches into the hospital parking lot, causing me to jump ten feet in the air. A lady with short, curly blond hair sticks her head out the driver side window. She spots Emma, and leaps out the car, racing towards her. Evan moves away from Emma at the lady's approach.
The lady hugs Emma close. "Oh Emma! Oh my baby!" Emma pushes the lady off of her.
"Knock it off Aunt Sheryl," Emma growls. "You know I hate it when people smother me."
"Oh! Sorry, sorry." She looks at Evan, Craig and I. "So which one of you guys going to be staying at my place?" Evan waves shyly. Emma gestures to Craig and I.
"These guys are Craig and Brock," she says. She points to Evan, saying, "and that's Evan." Aunt Sheryl nods, shaking each of our hands and introducing herself.
"Well," Aunt Sheryl says, "you guys get in the car while I go fill out Emma's paperwork."
"Shotgun!," Emma calls, then takes off across the parking lot. Evan smiles and shakes his head before racing after her. Craig and I follow behind. When Craig and I climb in back next to Evan, we're greeted with the sound of heavy rock and roll music. I feel myself get excited when I realize who the band is. Black Veil Brides!
"Our days are numbered,
In a world of fools.
We feel the hunger,
And follow no one's rules." Days Are Numbered. A classic. I smile as I realize Emma's singing along.
"Everybody wants eternal life,
But nobody can seem to get it right.
Woah
Our days are numbered,
And you're no fool.
Nobody's fool" I look at Evan. He's staring at the back of Emma's chair, smiling. I look at Emma. She still singing along to the song, and it seems as though she's forgotten any of us are there. I can't help it, I smile.
Soon, Emma's aunt gets in the car, and we begin our journey away from the hospital. For some reason, the entire time we drive, I can't keep my eyes off of Emma.

Emma
Soon, we drop Brock and Craig off, and Evan gets out of the car, saying he'll just walk to my house after he gets his things together. My aunt tells him to be there by seven, he agrees and we leave. As we're driving, my aunt turns to me and turns the radio off. I look at her. She's got an excited smile on her face. "I like that Evan kid," she says excitedly, rubbing my shoulder. I push her hand off. After my recent accident I'm not exactly ready for human contact. Evan staying with us for two weeks is enough.
"What about Craig and Brock," I ask, leaning my head against the window. "You like them to, right?"
"Oh of course of course!" She giggles and leans over next to my ear like she's about to tell me the biggest secret of 2015. "That Evan would make nice boyfriend material." I push her away from me in disgust, and she almost falls over from laughing so hard.
"No Aunt Sheryl just. . .just no," I say, although I can't help but smile slightly at her comment. She looks at me and smiles.
"Aw, you're blushing!," she gushes. I feel my face getting hotter.
"I-I-I am not!" Wow that save face though. My aunt's about to say something, but thankfully we pull up in our driveway at that moment. I leap out of the car and race into the house. I quickly race up the stairs into my room. I slam the door shut and lock it, then sigh and slide onto the ground.
An hour later, at about five o'clock, there's a knock at the door. I pause my YouTube and hop off my bed to answer it. When I open it, Evan's standing there, a sleeping bag tucked under his arm. My eyes widen. "She's letting you sleep up here to?"
"Yep!," he pipes. I just stare at him for a few moments, jaw gaping, then sigh and step aside, allowing him access to my room. He steps inside and lays his sleeping bag on the ground. I shut the door and sit on the edge of my bed, watching as Evan situates himself. When he finally does, he plops down next to me. He immediately wraps his arms around me and pulls me against his chest. I feel my face get hot.
"What are you doing?," I ask, my voice a bit muffled by the sleeve of his shirt.
"Well the doctor said I need to get you used to human affection," he says. He gasps quietly, then says, "I meant human contact." I'm about to say something, something about what he'd said before, when I decide not to. He's probably just going to keep changing the subject anyway, might as well not even bother. So instead, I wrap my arms around him and squeeze him tightly, burying my face into his stomach. I expect him to push me off, but he takes me by surprise when he, instead, begins to run a hand over my hair. "There it is," he whispers. "I knew this Emma was in there somewhere." I don't say anything, only close my eyes as a tear slips down my cheek.