Chapter 6: The Road of Discovery

So I think this is my longest chapter ever! A lot of stuff goes down in this chapter! It's a doozy….and the END….whoo! So here it is….enjoy! And don't hate me! Also….fair warning….late night editing…errors bound to happen!

Damon

I wanna return but all you will do is turn to leave

If I can find my way home, will you take hold of me?

I've been gone so long

I can barely say

All I know is now I want to stay

Has it been too long since I went away?

Cause I'm trying to find the words but I can barely say

-"I Can Barely Say"-The Fray

Damon watched her walk away and clenched his fists in frustration. He needed a run. A fast one. Or a fight. He grit his teeth. He hated this. Hated this. Hated Mason Lockwood. And his brother. He felt like every step he took, every step he helped Elena take, every painful push of progress the two of them made someone something came along and pulled her three steps back. It was frustrating as fuck. He rubbed his hand along the back of his neck and massaged it tenderly.

His phone buzzed again and he cursed. He really was popular today. He was tempted to throw the damn thing through the wall. The number was one he didn't recognize. He sighed. "Salvatore."

"Mr. Salvatore, this is Kara from X-treme Detail. Your Camaro is ready for pick up."

"Fantastic." Damon pinched the bridge of his nose, trying to relieve the sudden tension building there. One less thing for him to worry about. "Thank you Kara."

"It was our pleasure, Mr. Salvatore. It's a beautiful machine." Damon smiled. It was. And Elena would look beautiful driving it too.

"I'll be picking it up later this afternoon."

"I look forward to seeing you, Mr. Salvatore." Kara replied and hung up. Damon looked at his phone for a second before setting it on the counter. Interesting. and not we. Whatever. Deciding he'd give Elena a few minutes to settle, he finished the marinade for the steaks and set them in the fridge.

After rounding the breakfast bar, he snatched his laptop and sat down on the couch snapping out a quick email to Jeremy's commanding officer. He gave him a brief rundown of the situation, letting him know that Jeremy's sister was with him and that Elena could currently be reached through Damon, and gave him his current contact information along with Elena's personal email address. After submitting the email, Damon looked up to see Elena sitting across from him.

He met her eyes. They said it all. He opened his mouth and said it before she could say anything. "I know." He said softly. She nodded the side of her mouth quirking. "We good?" He asked. She nodded again and he sighed a sigh of profound relief. Good. "The Camaro's ready." She full out smiled then. Man, if all it took was his car to make her smile he would have gone to get it last night. "Verizon, then Meredith's then the Camaro?"

"Sounds like a plan." She said, smoothing her hands over the legs of her jeans. He recognized it as a nervous gesture but dismissed it immediately. She would eventually grow out of those gestures. Until then he'd just have to ignore them. "Meredith's nice. You'll like her. And Ric wants to tag along. Wants to see his lady love." Damon smirked.

"Is she seeing someone?" Elena asked.

Damon tilted his head. "Mer? No. I don't think so. No, she's holding out for Alaric."