Chapter 5

"Lucy Garrett? I've never even had a conversation with her, have you Bella?" Alexa asks me as we are sat at a lunch table in the cafeteria, Connor and Tristan sat opposite us.

"Nope," I reply popping the 'p' and shrug my shoulders. For the past week I've been in a pretty grumpy mood, probably because of my parents' divorce. I've noticed my mum is quite unhappy, I just wish things couldn't be so complicated. I also feel pretty bad because I've dumped my moodiness on my friends, but I haven't even told them about my parents. Maybe I'm just too stressed to deal with the sympathy and attention I know they'll give me.

"Well it doesn't matter, she's having a party and I got you all invited, she's in my Maths class." Tristan says with a grin on his face, before taking a bite into his pizza slice.

"Yay, human interaction," I grumble sarcastically, pushing my pasta around my cardboard plate with my fork.

"Oh come on Bella," Alexa starts, " it will be fun, and if it's not we can just all go back to mine and watch some movies or something," she persists with a smile on her face as Connor and Tristan look hopeful that I'll agree. I don't know what it is that's making me so against going to a party, what's the worst that can happen?

"Okay, okay. I guess it will be good to get out," I shrug and smile briefly.

"Yes!" Connor cheers, "hopefully we can pull some hotties, Tris," he smirks as me and Alexa roll our eyes.

"You apes would be lucky if a girl poked you with a stick," Alexa jokes as I nearly choke on my pasta with laughter.

"Hey shut up Lex, and Bella you can barely laugh, you never even leave your room let alone socialise with the opposite sex," Tristan jokes before winking at me playfully.

"Fuck off," I joke as we all start laughing again.

I fling a pasta shell at Tristan across the table but he moves too quickly and catches it in his mouth, as I sigh with annoyance. It's nice to have friends that I know will give me the happiness and comfort my family don't.

The bell rings, signalling the end of lunch as several sighs and groans fill the cafeteria and people begin heading to classes.

"I have geography so I'll see you guys after school. Come to mine yeah?" Connor says whilst heading to his class. The three of us reply with some sort of 'yeah' and start walking separate directions to our lessons.

-

"Okay, seriously would you all just sit down and shut up?" Calls our unfamiliar English substitute teacher, attempting and failing to get a bunch of 18 year olds to calm down. He's very short and fairly young looking, maybe around 35.

Brad is yet again sprawled across the desk moodily, drumming his finger tips on the desk, although today he wasn't late. I sit there quietly waiting for the lesson to begin.

Everyone eventually quietens down, before the teacher begins to speak again, "right, I'm Mr. Taylor and believe it or not, I don't want to be here anymore than you do, so let's just try and get through this hour swiftly," he pulls a sarcastic smile and takes a big gulp of whatever substance was in his mug, tea, coffee, alcohol, you never know these days.

"Mr. Edwards has told me to put you in pairs for a small project you'll work on properly when he's back next lesson, so listen out for you and your partner's name and then you can sit together and start the work." He announces.