6

For once, Larkin's parents were home for dinner. It was the first time in a week or two that they had all sat down and ate together. Larkin wished that she could enjoy it, but she didn't. For a number of reasons.

Reason Number One: What if someone needed help? It was part of her superhero duties.

Reason Number Two: Her parents were awkward. To put it bluntly, they didn't know how to talk to their own child.

Reason Number Three: Larkin was dreading the moment her parents got the call telling them about how she skipped school. They could be terrifying if they wanted to be.

Reason Number Five: He father had almost been assassinated and they had yet to mention it to her.

Larkin shifted uncomfortably in her chair as her parents discussed their work. She shoved the spaghetti around on her plate, occasionally shoveling a forkful into her mouth.

"I just don't know what to do," huffed her mother exasperatedly. "Both the mother and the father want custody of their child, and neither one is backing down."

This was Mrs. Knolls' favorite topic of conversation: her work.

"Larkin, dear, what's your opinion on the case?" asked her mother.

Larkin glanced up, surprised that her mother was even acknowledging her presence at the dinner table. "I don't think I'm qualified to say, Mom. I've never even met these people," Larkin persisted.

"Well, the Bridges family isn't that complicated. I'm sure you have an opinion," urged her mother. "What do you think, Richard?"

"Well," said her father, wiping his mouth on a napkin before setting his fork down, "it all depends on the people and what they're like."

Something Mrs. Knolls had said had caught Larkin's attention.

"Did you say Bridges?" questioned Larkin.

Her mother's eyes grew wide. "Oops. I'm not supposed to say names. Don't tell anyone, Larkin, or I could get in trouble."

She nodded her head to say she understood.

Bridges was Jacob's last name. Could his parents be getting a divorce? she thought. I'm sure there are other Bridges families out there. It's probably not him. Larkin tried to remember the last time she had seen both of his parents. She could only remember seeing his mom at open house nights throughout the years, but never his dad.

The dinnertime conversation evolved from work to school to work again. Larkin was surprised that her parents never brought up her absence from class today. Unless they didn't know about it, she surely would have been grounded already. Or maybe the school's going to call tomorrow.

Right before her parents started another long and drawn out conversation, Larkin stopped them.

"When were you going to tell me about the assassination attempt on Dad?" she blurted. The fact that her parents hadn't even mentioned it to her shocked Larkin. She knew she didn't have the best relationship with her parents, but they did talk to each other. Occasionally.

She could see her father deflate in his chair. The animated look dropped from his face, and the mood at the table instantly changed from happy to somber. Finally, her father spoke up.

"It's no big deal, Larkin. You don't have to worry about me. I'm perfectly fine, and they've set an extra security detail on me." Right after he finished talking, her parents resumed their exciting conversation about the droughts in China.

Finally, the long and agonizing dinner was over, and Larkin retreated to her room, claiming that she had homework to do.

"On the second day?" asked Mr. Knolls. "That seems awfully fast." He was placing dishes in the dishwasher while watching Larkin walk out of the kitchen.