16

Jacob was told he would get to meet Sway after school on Tuesday. That's what his father said. That's what his father had been told to tell him.

Jacob didn't know who Sway was. He didn't know why he/she/it was important or relevant to the task at hand. He did not argue, however. He listened to his father, who listened to someone else. Jacob didn't know whom.

Jacob left school after last period feeling extremely anxious. First off, Larkin hadn't showed up at school at all, and his attempt at starting their project had been a disaster. Lunch was filled with tension; apparently everyone was feeling the strain without Larkin. She was the glue.

He stood outside the front of the school building waiting for his mother to drive by in her stereotypical-mom-minivan. Someday, I will have my own car, and it will not look like that. The sky blue sheen of the paint coating the vehicle disturbed something within Jacob. When it drove up, he involuntarily shivered and scooched onto the sticky, tan, leather seats.

"How was your day at school?" asked his mother, Mrs. Bridges.

Jacob pursed his lips. "Fine."

His mother hummed. "I'm sure it was. My day, on the other hand, was wonderful. Tomorrow, the divorce should be completed."

Jacob felt a weight lift off his shoulders. "Good," he sighed.

After riding in silence for thirty seconds, Jacob realized that he couldn't go home yet. He had a meeting. Sway.

"Mom, could you drop me off at the library? I have a group project to work on," he lied.

"We just passed the library," she said dryly.

"Sorry," squeaked Jacob.

"It's fine. Should have told me sooner, though," she said, with a tsk.

()()()

Rather close to the library sat a café. It was a locally owned, hole-in-the-wall type of place. He slid onto the vinyl seat of a table in the front, looking out a window. Jacob watched each person that passed, wondering if they were Sway.

His father told him that this was the meeting place. He recalled the description his father had given him. Wears all black. Never actually met 'em though; that's just what I was told. Jacob was left to ponder the vague description while he sipped his muddy coffee, wishing it was actually hot chocolate.

He glanced at the time. His plastic watch told him it was ten minutes past the designated meeting time. He sighed and shifted in the chair, thinking of all the homework he would have to complete once he got home. Fall break why are you so far away?

When his coffee was gone, he took the cup up to the counter and asked for more. As the barista filled his cup, he watched the door. Still, no one. So, with another sigh, he took his coffee and sat back down in the uncomfortable chair.

Jacob began to nod off. Even two cups of coffee couldn't keep him alert. After coming back to his senses, he rapidly blinked and rubbed his eyes. No more waiting around for someone who wasn't going to show up; he was leaving.

Before he pulled his hands away from his eyes, the table rattled, and he heard the remnants of his coffee slosh around. He jumped and put his hands on the table, steadying it. Jacob looked up, searching for the source of the disruption.

A girl dressed from head to toe in black stood at the edge of the table. She didn't sit, didn't move, didn't speak.

Jacob smiled.

She remained expressionless before opening her mouth to reveal pearly white teeth. "You're too young," she said, perplexed.

Jacob frowned. "What do you mean?"