Chapter Ten

Once Christina was in her dress, and I in mine, I called in Candance and Becca. They helped me get her hair ready and put on her make up. She did not smile once, even when they left. Jonathon knocked on the door and opened it a crack. "Someone is here to walk you to supper, Princess Christina." He announced.

She looked up at me before responding, "Send them in."

Felix walked into the room, a large smile on his face. "Greetings, fiancee. May I walk you to supper on this fine evening?" He held out an arm. She looked to me quickly. I nodded and she stood.

"I suppose you shall." She walked over and took his arm. He turned quickly and began to walk, then turned his head over his shoulder.

"If you are the one called 'Ellie', King Antoine wishes to speak with you, as soon as possible." He then strode out with Christina, my love. I could not tell if she had tried to look back at me when she left the room, but I felt in my heart that she did. I cleaned up her vanity before heading back down to the service quarters. I changed into a new dress, the same as my first one, and began to tie it behind my back when someone came up to me.

"Excuse me. But I believe I said I would like to see you immediately." His voice sent a shiver down my spine, not in the good way. I turned slowly to face King Antoine. He looked mad, and it was directed at me.

"I just wanted to freshen up sir. Please forgive me." I said, curtsying at him.

"Come with me please." He said before walking past me towards the back door, the hallway we used to get to their rooms quicker. I followed him closely, I did not want to make him madder than he was right now. He led me down the hall way to where his room was. I prayed that he would keep moving past it, and his did. Then he turned up the stairs and brought me out into the back of the ballroom.

"Sir, why have you brought me here?" I made sure to shut the door behind us, it blended in with the wall perfectly.

"Just a quick detour. I wanted to look at this room before the wedding."

"I am sure this room will be perfect for it."

"I am as well." He turned to me. "My wife, your queen, will still be sick during the wedding. She will not be able to attend."

"I am sorry sir."

"Not to fear, for I will have someone on my arm during the ceremony."

"And who will that be?"

King Antoine looked down at me, with a smile that could kill a man. "You, my kind lady. And after my daughter and Felix leave to go to their room, you and I will have a continuation of the other day. However, you will not run from me this time."

I gasped and he began to laugh at me.

"Did you really think I would forgive for that? No one says no to the king."

"But sir," I started.

"And no one talks back to their king like you are." He began to walk to the front door then turned to me. "Now come along."

"Wouldn't you not want one of your other, prettier ladies on your arm?" I asked, slowly walking closer.

"After dinner, you will be my prettiest lady. Now go." He shoved me forward so hard that I almost fell, but I caught myself. I stood up quickly and walked out the door in a hurry. I ran to the dining room, knowing Christina would be there soon. When I opened the door, only other servants stood inside, setting the table. I moved to a corner in the dark.

A few minutes passed before any guests arrived. It was first King Mecca and his wife. They did not see me and sat down next to each other, near King Antoine's chair. Next, a few other family members and members of the city came in. King Antoine came in with his cousin, King of the kingdom across the sea. He turned his head around the room until he spotted me, smiling and going to his seat.

Lastly, came Christina, led by Felix. He brought her to sit next to her father, and he beside her. I walked out of the shadows to stand behind her, she looked back at me and smiled. All the love and compassion came through her eyes, and my spirits lifted for a while.

The dinner was filled with all the guests talking and laughing, we went through three barrel of wine. Antoine told many a joke and none of them made Christina or I laugh. Even Queen Dell held back from laughing at a few of his comments on women. I went around the table refilling the wine when I made it to King Antoine's chair. Everyone was talking, so no talk stopped he pulled my arm so that he could whisper in my ear. "If you are not in my room tonight after this meal, I will have you thrown in the dungeon for the rest of your days. Understand?" I nodded my head and he released me, laughing loudly as if he had overheard a joke or told me one. I quickly finished filling the glasses and placed the pitcher on the platter. I pointed my eyes to the ground for the rest of the meal. The only time I looked back up was when Christina announced she was leaving for bed, and Felix stood up quickly to walk her back.

"I know my way around my own castle." She said, raising her hand and making him sit back down. She looked to me to follow, and I wanted to, but a quick look at her father made me frozen in place. She looked at him then stormed out. I felt like a shard had gone through my heart.

Antoine said goodbye to all the guests and ordered us to clean up. He looked at me before leaving, I only knew because I could see his reflection in the silver. I moved slowly from the table to the cart with the silver and plates, then down the servants hall to the kitchen for cleaning. When I got to the sink, I placed the cart right beside it. The two dishwashers came over and started working. I walked away. I had nothing more to do. I had to go to him. I felt emptiness creep into me.