Chapter 1: First meeting

"Then prove it. Put that hammer down." Steve said as he had just got Thor and Tony to stop fighting. "Uh, yeah, no. Bad call. He loves his hammer-" Tony said but was cut off when Thor hit him with the hammer, making him crash through a few trees.

"You want me to put the hammer down!" Thor yelled before jumping into the air and swinging the hammer down on Steve's shield, which he was using to protect himself. When the hammer connected with shield a massive rebound threw everyone and everything back. The rebound ended up destroying a lot of the forest.

"Are we done here?" Steve asked. Suddenly the three men were lifted into the air with several shadow-like ethereal hands holding onto them. "My, oh, my. You boys really did make a mess." A velvet like voice said as Blake walked out of the shadows. "Great. You took your time!" Tony said, sarcastically, struggling against the shadow hands. "I wouldn't struggle, they'll just tighten their grip on you. And I was in Australia on a very serious job before getting called in about one of the things your dad pulled out the ocean." Blake said then looked at Steve and smiled.

She then grabbed Loki and took them all back to the aircraft where Natasha flew them back to headquarters.

-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"In case it's unclear." Nick started while Loki was locked up. "You try to escape. You so much as scratch that glass." Nick said as he pressed a few buttons on a control screen and a hole opened up underneath where Loki was being kept. "Thirty thousand feet, straight down in steel trap. You get how that works?" Nick asked, closing the hole back up. "Ant." Nick gestured to Loki, "Boot." He gestured to the controls.

Loki laughed, lightly. "It's an impressive cage. Not built, I think, for me." Loki stated. "Built for something a lot stronger than you." Nick stated. "Oh, I've heard." Loki started as he looked into one of the security cameras. "The mindless beast. They play he's still a man." Loki stated, knowing that all of the avengers were listening.

"How desperate are you? You call on such lost creatures to defend you." Loki questioned. "How desperate am I?" Nick repeated his question. "You threaten my world with war, you steal a force you can't hope to control, you told about peace and you kill because it's fun. You have made me very desperate. And you might not be glad that you did." Nick said. "Ooo, it burns you to have come so close. To have the tesseract, to have power, unlimited power, and for what? A warm light for a man kind to share? And then to be reminded of what real power is." Loki said, making his speech. "Well, let me know if 'real power' wants a magazine or something." Fury said, sarcastically, as he walked away.

Everyone watched as the image on the table disappeared. "He really grows on you, doesn't he?" Bruce said. "Loki's gonna drag this out. So, Thor, what's his play?" Steve asked the Demigod. "He has an army called the Chitauri, that none of Asgard nor any world know. He means to lead them against your people. They will him the earth. Return, I suspect, for the Tesseract." Thor said.

"An army, from outer space." Steve stated. "So he's building another portal." Blake concluded. "That's what he needs Erik Selvig for." Bruce said. "Selvig?" Thor asked. "He's an astrophysicist." Blake replied. "He's a friend." Thor said, sadly. "Loki has him under some kind of spell, along with one of ours." Natasha said, the last part quite sadly. Blake looked at her with sympathy, knowing she was talking about Clint. Natasha wasn't the only one that was in Clint's debt, Blake was as well.

"I wanna know why Loki let us take him. He's not leading an army from here." Steve stated. "I don't think we should be focusing on Loki. That guy's brain is a bag full of cats, you could smell crazy on him." Bruce said. "I don't care how you speak. Loki is beyond reason, but he is of Asgard, and he's my brother." Thor stated, offend by Bruce's comment. "He killed eighty people in two days." Natasha pointed out. "He's adopted." Thor said, trying to defend Loki in some way. "I think it's about the mechanics." Blake stated, leaning back in her chair.

"Iridium, what did they need the Iridium for?" Bruce questioned.

"It's a stabilizing agent." Tony said as he entered the room. "Means, the portal won't collapse in itself, like it did at S.H.I.E.L.D. No hard feelings Point Break, you've got a mean swing. Also, it means the portal can open as wide, and stay open as long as Loki wants." Tony paused then pointed across the room at random agent. "That man is playing gallaga. Thought we wouldn't notice, but we did." Tony put one of his hands over the eye where Fury would have an eye-patch and started to try and look at the screens. "How does Fury even see these?" Tony asked.

"He turns." Hill answered.

"Is it just me that thinks he talks a lot?" Blake whispered to Steve making him chuckle and nod.

"Sounds exhausting. The rest of the raw materials, Agent Barton can get his hands on pretty easily. Only major component he still needs is a power source. A high energy density, something to kick starts the cube." Tony explained. "When did you become an expert in thermonuclear astrophysics?" Hill asked. "Last night. The packet, Selvig's notes, the Extraction Theory papers. Am I the only one who did the reading?" Tony questioned.

"Does Loki need any particular kind of power source?" Steve asked. "He got to heat the cube to a hundred and twenty million Kelvin just to break through the Coulomb barrier." Bruce explained. "Unless, Selvig has figured out how to stabilize the quantum tunnelling effect." Tony said. "Well, if he could do that he could achieve Heavy Ion Fusion at any reactor on the planet." Bruce replied. "Finally, someone who speaks English." Tony said as he walked over to Bruce.

"Is that what just happened?" Steve questioned making Blake giggle in a cute way. Steve oddly got a fluttery feeling inside of him.

"It's good to meet you, Dr. Banner. You're work on anti-electron collisions is unparalleled. And I'm a huge fan of the way you lose control and turn into an enormous green rage monster." Tony told Bruce. "Thanks." Bruce said, awkwardly.

"Dr. Banner is only here to track the cube. I was hoping you might join him." Fury told them as he walked into the room. "Let's start with that stick of his. It may be magical, but it works an awful lot like a Hydra Weapon." Steve said. "I don't know about that, but it is powered by the cube." Fury said then looked at Blake.

"Where have you been?" Fury sounded quite angry. "Busy. Don't worry, I'll tell you all about it later." Blake smirked at Fury. Fury sighed knowing Blake was difficult to get answers from and turned to the rest of the team. "I'd also like to know how Loki used it to turn two of the sharpest men I know into his personal flying monkeys." Fury said. "Monkeys? I do not understand." Thor said.

"I do." Steve said, excited. Everybody looked at him. "I understand that reference."

Blake looked at Natasha with a sparkle in her eyes then darted her eyes at Steve then back at Natasha. Natasha chuckled and rolled her eyes as she said, "You're unbelievable." Natasha muttered as Blake chuckled as well.