Chapter 25 .: Thrown to the Wolves :.

.: Chapter 25 :.

Thrown To the Wolves

                Percival watched the moonlit night, his mind blank. Why did he feel as if the world was suspended in fake peace? As if the world could erupt into chaos at any given moment?

                There was a knock at his door.

                “Come in.”

                Troya entered, followed by Tristen and Leya.

                “Captain, you have to see this,” Tristen said, his eyes dark.

                “What is it?”

                “Reincarnates!” Leya burst out.

                Troya and Tristen both gave her piercing glares. Tristen stepped forward and handed Percival the neatly filed report.

                “All the details are in there. The bigger matter is this, however.” Troya produced a second report, this time sealed with the mark of an Elitist. Leya stirred, not having known of this second report. Tristen prodded her, and she stilled. “In summation, the bodies of four Elitists have been found, scattered throughout. And not just in Bellatoria.”

                If this bothered Percival, he didn’t show it.

                “And you think there is a link between these cases?”

                “Undoubtedly. The squad that found the bodies of the Elitists claim to have found no traces of Enegies of any kind on them. The rampant Reincarnates are said to be exceedingly strong.”

                “Hence, they are suspected to have killed the Elitists,” Tristen finished.

                “There is something off, Captain,” Troya began hesitantly.

                The deaths of four Elitists were startling. Elitists were famed to be the strongest of the strongest, a division that was directly looked after by the king himself. There was no way to apply to be an Elitist—you were chosen, and it wasn’t a position one refused. But if four were dead, and their Energies drained…

                “You are free to speak, Troya,” Percival said gently, his mind racing now.

                “The reason we’re giving you the report is because Team 8 has been asked to undertake this case.”

                Percival turned towards him quickly, and so did Leya and Tristen. “Team 8 has been asked to undertake this case? Are the other teams all busy?”

                Troya shook his head the barest fraction of an inch. “I overheard the conversation between the other team captains. They… they want to…” He cleared his throat, glancing over to his teammates.

                “Tristen, you and Leya may remain outside,” Percival ordered. Looking concerned at their captain’s sudden change in mood, Tristen left, followed by a scampering Leya. “Continue.”

                “The other captains want to put us on this case because we’ve only taken lowly cases thus far. They say they want to give us an opportunity to, ah, spread our wings.”

                Percival slammed his fist onto the wall. Team rivalry had always been strong but this was too much. For them to take on a case with Reincarnates that had overpowered Elitists… Were they insane? “What about reinforcements?” he said through gritted teeth after he trusted himself to speak without yelling.