16. Fuel

Charlie's cuts slowly healed over night as we put as much distance between us and The Broken Oak as we could. We didn't stop to sleep in the night, and I didn't feel very tired as the sun rose to our right.

We were quiet over the night too. Charlie seemed less tense if he could glare at the road in silence, so I stayed quiet. When the road started to straighten out, with no more turns or cars in sight, Charlie said, "Do you know how to drive?"

I hadn't spoken so long my voice cracked. "O-Only a tractor once, before it broke." Something like fuel had still been inside it when some of us had found it. We'd gone off the path during a gathering trip, and we couldn't resist getting on it. A couple of us were able to have a turn making it move before it died.

"Think you can drive the truck?"

I'd already noticed how Charlie worked the pedals and moved the stick to the different letters; it was currently on the letter D. "I think so. Why?"

"I want to sleep, and driving right now shouldn't be a problem for you." He slowed the truck down. "It's all straight roads from here." We stopped and switched places. I took the opportunity to get a piece of meat that had been packed for me. Charlie got into the back, lying across the seat. I took control of the truck, putting light pressure on the pedal and keeping the needle on number 50.

It felt pretty good being in control of something. The thrill of it died pretty quick, so I was left trying to find something to occupy my mind. Only two cars passed by; a small blue one and a long black one.

Nothing really happened unless Charlie did something. He was in charge. This trip was only happening because he was getting something out of it. Honestly, if it were me, I would just steal whatever it was I wanted from Aaron. I would trust a snake more than Aaron, and the thought of going back to the coven-just to find he had been lying or something-really made this trip less worthwhile.

No time felt like the right time to ask Charlie what it was he wanted. Even if he was in a good mood, he probably wouldn't say. I wondered if Zaika ever tried to learn what it was... if she was so in love with him.

I didn't see the appeal, really. He was doing what Aaron wanted and hated it. No wondered they called him Weasel. Why didn't he do anything for himself? Why jump through hoops for someone like Aaron? Why did Charlie appear so spineless?

No.... I couldn't think like that about Charlie. While still difficult to believe, he was good. He was nice and didn't try taking advantage of me. I was lucky I didn't go to someone like Omega... lucky that Aaron didn't keep me for himself. Another question to tuck away-one of millions-was why Aaron gave me to Charlie... if I was so interesting. What had I said when we met...? I didn't want to be a vampire I just didn't want to die... and I didn't care how I survived....

Well, I wasn't lying. I knew that being alive like this wouldn't be great, but at least I knew that. No one knows what they'll get when they die.

"You're doing pretty well."

I was until Charlie scared me. I'd jumped and the truck swerved a bit before I got it straight again. "Don't do that."

He laughed as he climbed over the seat. "Sorry. Want me to take over?"

"I'd rather have something to do."

"Fair enough." He pulled down the visor. "Ugh. Why didn't you tell me I looked this horrible?"

Charlie's cuts had healed, but blood still caked his face. "I thought you wanted me to be quiet, so I didn't say anything."