Chapter 1: The Letter

I placed my father's violin case on top of the the two folding chairs that stood by the blank wall. Although I had his favorite piece memorized by heart, I wanted to play it with perfection. I opened the case and listened as the zipping sound echoed in the room. Asides from my father's slow breathing and the beeping machines, the room was quiet. Outside the window, the sun was hardly visible, hidden behind the thick layer of clouds. Nothing felt right; everything seemed slow and dull. The rest of the world, on the other hand, was moving forward: heavy traffic, people swiftly crossing streets, and cars honking. Since my father's coma, feeling normal was unusual.

After taking the violin and bow from its original place, I opened the slit with my father's music book and placed it on the stand. I could hear the notes play in my head, watching my dad play with his eyes closed in the living room. His bow was leisurely gliding over the strings, playing the mellow sound of Gymnopedie no.1. Then, he stopped, after realizing that I was listening, and smiled.

Shaking my head from nostalgia, I knocked the stand down, leaving the book slightly opened. After I realized that something was tucked inside, I grabbed the book and found a sealed letter. Written in cursive, the envelope wrote Natalie Winters. I could easily recognize my father's handwriting, leaving behind the dot above the i. Curious on what the letter wrote, I began to open it. The letter said:

My Dearest Daughter Natalie,

I hope that you are doing well. By the time that you are reading this, I know that you will have grown to be the woman that I knew you would become. I have some news that might be greatly upsetting. I hope that you take this information with an open mind and if not, please forgive me and your mother. However, we know that this is in your best interest.

When you were little, your mother and I decided to arrange a your marriage with my one of my friend's son, Blake Tanner. Although this decision was a difficult to make, it was right for you and for the family's benefit. Knowing you as my beloved daughter, I know that you will be angered. Even though you are, you will soon realize this decision was the best one to make. You may question our reasons, but some questions are better left unanswered.

Love,

Andrew Winters

Dad

My hands shook nervously; I felt as if I could no longer breathe. Questions began to joggle in my mind and I knew that they would remain unanswered. I looked at my father. His eyes were closed, his breathing was steady, and he remained still as if there were no worries in the world. "Why? Why me, dad? Why not Tara? What did I do to deserve this? I hate you! I hate you and mom!" I screamed until I realized the monitor was beeping quickly. I looked at my father again; he wasn't breathing. A group of nurses rushed in the room as one of them tried pulling me away.

"Dad, no! I didn't mean it! I love you! I love you and mom!" I yelled before I was out of the room

"It's going to be okay," she said with ease.

"How do you know? I don't trust you. I've never even met you before. How can you tell me that my dad will be okay. You don't know anythi-" Before I could finish, he grabbed my arm and hugged me. I closed my eyes and tried to breathe calmly. My heart was pounding heavily and I could feel his imitate the same rhythm. His shirt smelled of faint cologne and the definition of his arms surrounded me. Finally, I looked up and saw the dark, brunette hair that contrasted his light green eyes. At the time he was a stranger, but I wanted some comfort. I wrapped my arms around him, beginning to cry on his chest.