Chasing Pavement [ 16 ]

[IMPORTANT INFO @ THE END]

Chasing Pavement

[ 16 ]

 "At the end of the day, you can either focus on what's tearing you apart or what's holding you together."

As Liam approached the stop sign, I noticed a weird glow casting itself on the houses that line my old street. I perked up in my seat, intrigued, and squinted my eyes to get a better view. Yes, I thought. Something was casting its red and blue shadows across the houses that rounded the corner. And then my eyes widened as realization hit me, as my mind finally realized where it recognized those lights from.

     “Is that the police,” Liam echoed my exact thought as he came to a full stop at the sign, craning his neck to also get a better view. His face was confused and he now gripped the wheel at ten and two firmly.

     “I wonder what happened?” I pondered. Then I looked over to Liam, the car still stopped at the stop sign. Now, we could see down our street and yes, there they were. Police cars. Two to be exact. “Do you think it could still be from Craig’s business?” I wondered. But that had happened hours ago. I don’t think that they would still be getting statement at this ungodly hour. Unless they were collecting a bundle of evidence…

     “I don’t know…” Liam wondered, finally pulling away from the stop sign. We drove down the street, me hanging onto the edge as I looked through the windshield, trying to see what happened as quickly as I could because I was a nosy neighbor. I could have cursed Liam for going the ten mile speed limit but knew that he was nervous as we gained on the cops. We didn’t want to get a speeding ticket only a few yards from the house

     Now, we were only two houses away from home and I frowned. It was weird… why would they be there, I thought. Fore, Liam couldn’t pull into the driveway because the police had parked in our driveway and not the Gray’s. Liam pulled the car over and parked on the opposite side of the street because there was no space for us. We both got out, confusion clearly displayed between the two of us. And then something just seemed to click. It wasn’t the Gray’s house that had the problem; it was the one that we were staying at. Something had happened to Kaylie or Anna… or the both of them. I froze in my movement forwards, my breath hitching and stopping all together. That couldn’t happen. I wouldn’t know what to do if it had.

     Liam realized that I hadn’t walked up with him and turned around to me. He looked at me, studying my face and trying to figure out what I was thinking. But, it didn’t take long before understanding flooded his features and then a pained look cased shadows over his face. “Don’t…” he said, walking towards me. “We can’t think like that.”

     My face fell, unable to stop my train of thought. Liam touched my arm ever so gently, his long fingers curling all the way around my forearm. I reached up and grabbed hold of his hand. Then, I turned back to the police and watched for a moment as they moseyed around; taking statements, checking out information, playing with the dash computer on their car’s.

      I walked over to one of the cop cars, the one where a well built cop in his mid forties sat, inputting information and writing down in his note pad. I gripped Liam’s hand tighter. It seemed the only thing that made me think clearly at this point. If he wasn’t here… I would have most likely been crying on the other side of the street already, crumpled onto myself as I had a spastic asthma attack. No one was that strong alone. It left us with our imaginations and not all people have nice and dandy and sweet minds. Sometimes, it would make you think in a way that caused excruciating pain. I cleared my shaky voice and the police man looked up at me.