Promise Me (One Shot)

• Dedicated to My Favorite Slap-On Wristwatch

"Promise Me"

"@1Cent4Thought Promise me that one day we'll meet? That we'll eat and travel and grow old together?"

I smiled as I looked at my laptop's screen, which currently was opened to my Twitter tab. My fingers click-clacked along the keyboard as I typed a response to the mention I had just received from Kate.

"@kitkat_kate17 I promise you."

Kate and I had been best friends since 2008, when we started talking over the social networking site Twitter after discovering we had a mutual interest in a popular music group at the time. Now, five years later, that music group had faded into the background, but our friendship hadn't. No, we'd never actually met, which would've been quite difficult considering the fact that we lived over eight hundred miles apart, myself in Indiana and Kate in Connecticut. However, we were still some of the closest friends you could ever find. We had spent countless nights staying up until 4:00a.m. tweeting and video chatting with each other. I could trust her with anything, and vice versa. We could laugh at almost anything without worrying about the other being judgmental. We were both fifteen years old, our lives intertwined through the power of the Internet.

"@1Cent4Thought Penny, I mean it. This is serious. I want my Olive Garden."

That was most definitely the Kate I knew. We had our inside jokes, one of them being about how when we finally met, I promised to buy her Olive Garden because she'd been deprived of it her whole life. Her mom refused to take her there after once finding a screw in her pasta. Still, I had assured her that would not stand in our way of devouring the delicious Italian cuisine.

"@kitkat_kate17 I know, I know! I PROMISE that one day we'll go on all of the crazy adventures we can only dream of doing right now. Including Olive Garden."

"@1Cent4Thought I'm holding you to it. Alright, I need to go now for dinner. TTYL?"

"@kitkat_kate17 Totes. (: Enjoy your mango smoothie."

"@1Cent4Thought Thanksss! <3 Wait, how'd you know I was gonna have a mango smoothie?"

"@kitkat_kate17 Kate, let's be honest. When do you ever NOT have a mango smoothie?"

"@1Cent4Thought True. Very true."

"Reeb Funeral Home, Penny Franklin speaking. How may I be of service to you?"

I twisted the ends of the strands of my long brunette hair around my finger as I sat at my desk and listened to the customer on the other end of the line. At thirty-five years of age, I worked a minimum wage job at a funeral home as a receptionist. My aspirations to become a top magazine editor in New York City had never worked out and seemed like only a distant memory.

"Yes, of course we can schedule an appointment. Is there a specific time that would be accommodating for you?"

After countless failed relationships, I had thought my dream boyfriend of seven years was finally going to propose last week, but it turns out he had planned the complete opposite, dumping me for another woman he had met.

"Tomorrow at two o'clock is absolutely fine. Is there anything else I can help you with right now?"

Living it up in New York with a perfect husband was a dream of the past, as I still lived in the same town that I grew up, in a small, run-down apartment only blocks away from my childhood home and high school. Needless to say, it felt like my life was going nowhere, and fast.

"No, not at all. We'll see you tomorrow at two o'clock. Have a nice day."

Just a few seconds after I had hung up the telephone, the grandfather clock in the lobby hummed its' familiar tune, which stated that it was five o'clock.