Chapter 2

Mer-

It seems just as yesterday I had broken down for the first time.

It honestly still feels like a nightmare.

But I wake up and they truly are all gone..

I finally get out of bed. I feel sluggish since it happened. My feet touch the carpet and I walk across the room. Clothes scattered everywhere, books on the floor, thrown out of anger. I walk down the two steps and turn to the door. Alas, 13 stairs await to creak as I stand, debating whether it's even worth it anymore. I sigh, and make my way down then into the living room.

I was the one who looked after them all, a protector is how I portrayed myself as I guess.

It's what gave me a sense of... purpose.

This empty house makes me shiver as I stand in the silence. I tiptoe over, a shadow of false hope following me.

I creak the door to my parents room. Ripped sheets and covers on the floor. I lower my head and slowly back away from the room as my sight began to flood with tears.

It's hard to believe that you never truly appreciated what you had until you discovered what it's like to know that it's gone. They're not going to come back and you know it.

You're all alone now.

Just accept it.

Just another pathetic soul, waiting to rot away.

And there's no one to save you.

"JUST SHUT UP!" I scream. I punch the door to their room and it flies open, hitting and leaving a mark on the wall. My entire body is shaking, I can't breath. "Just shut up." I cover my head, digging my nails through my hair into my scalp. In staggered breaths I slowly realize I've begun to go insane. It's consuming me. "I gotta get outta here." I mutter under my breath.

I rush upstairs and change into something more comfortable to run in and move in case I'm confronted by something or someONE unknown. I grab my Nike running shoes, slip on my pair of soccer pants and throw on a blue t-shirt. As I'm putting up my hair I begin talking to myself.

"It's hard to get your hands on anything these days. Those who were left, were said to have looted, killed others for materials; food, gas, anything that wouldn't be supported by "What's-His-Face". Its also strange and out of question as to why no adults roam. I'll go find Cat. Maybe we can work together," I stop and look at the two pieces of hair falling from the side of my hair. I reach over for some bobby pins "that is if she isn't going to turn against me." I take a step back and look at myself.

God you're so pathetic

I scoff, "at least I'm doing something." I grab a bag and start stuffing it with essentials I may need; deodorant, a pen, pencil, water, my glasses in their case, my pocket knife, bandage tape, paper, phone charger, headphones, and my phone. "I'll come back.."

I walk downstairs and spot the keys to my mom's mandza minivan. I grab them and walk outside, locking the door and walk over into the van. I open the door and hop inside. I close the door and exhale, setting the bag in the passenger seat. "Okay. I got this." I slip the key and turn it and the car comes to life. I adjust the mirrors and seat, locking the door. " Nothing is going to happen. Everything is okay. Maybe I'm just a little paranoid... yeah." I step on the brake and drive over to Cat's house.