Prologue

Amber-

I remember that day as if it was yesterday. The world seemed happy. Families were doing family things, but that quickly changed. It was two weeks after school started; that dreadful night was the last time I saw my sister or my parents. I was sleeping till I heard my door swing open. I keep still and pretended to be asleep. I heard my sister yelling and parents yelling for her. Then it went silent. There was a gruff voice outside my room.

"Is she asleep?"

"Yes, but I will double check." said a male voice.

I then heard people walk down stairs. The male's voice spoke next to my ear and softly spoke "I know you are awake, but you have to stay quiet until we leave. The world is about to change." He left seconds before I heard screaming and crying outside but I did as the man had said.

Everything went quiet. I got up and walked down the steps. Not knowing what to do, I opened the door. That's when I noticed it. A number in the middle of a circle spray painted on to my door. I stood there long enough to get cold. I shut the door and locked it. I went to check the time. Wondering, I made a group chat asking who else was still around. I turned up the volume. Held my tablet tightly towards my body and drifted to sleep.

When I woke up, I had gotten responses from a couple people. Some were confused to why I had asked them. So I told them what happened to me last night. Most of them were freaking out after they realized what was going on. When I went down stairs I grabbed some breakfast and my moms phone off the counter, and walked outside. The streets in my neighborhood were empty. I decided to look at my neighbor's house. When I arrived to their front porch the door had a circle with a line through it. When i knocked on the door the door opened. I knew this is how people die in horror movies, but I walked into the house anyway. I looked around and the house was a mess like someone had a struggle. The TV was playing, but it had been muted. There was a man on the screen you could not see his face. When I unmuted it, the screen went fuzzy. Then the video started again. The man just sat there then he started to speak.

"Hello. Some of you might be wondering were your parents, friends, or any adults that I do not employ are. They are either dead or we have them alive and intraining. The only way you if you were not taken is if you were asleep the whole time. We have created a long lasting energy source and those that are left you have unlimited energy. You will not have to pay for water or electricity. The only thing you will have to find for is food, gas, and clothing. New laws and regulations will be in everyone's mailboxes by this afternoon. Those few who are left you will be on your own you no longer have guardians. Due to.."

There was a pause, as if the man hesitated. Another man came next the the person who was speaking with some sort of information, which seemed like had upset the speaker. He waved the man off and continued.

"I have taken over and am your new ruler now and what I say goes. Now this is your new order. The few of you that are listening, were carefully selected."

Then the man grinned.

"Have a nice day."

And it stopped, went fuzzy and soon it started over. I stood there in shock. I could not move. Selected? And I'm alive? For what?

And soon enough, I found out.