Chapter One

Confessions of an Ex- Hollywood Starlet

Chapter One

So here I sit alone. In my luxury boudoir, the thick velvet curtains drawn against the black-blue of the midnight sky and the low light filling the room like the perfect back drop to a stage. My stage. Where I, and I alone, have the leads; the greatest one woman act ever seen. My play, my masterpiece, adored and fawned over by the most prestigious critics. The saddest tragedy ever performed to a live audience of thousands.

I gazed at myself in my vanity mirror. My classic good looks had faded with age, but my makeup was done perfectly with a powdered smooth face, burgundy red full lips, and smokeyeyeshadow eyes. My thick raven hair curled perfectly with a stylingwand and hairspray. My long silk leopard print robe flowed around me and pooled on the floor by my feet, my satin black nightgown hugging me like a sliming second skin. This is how I want to be remembered- beautiful even after what fame had done to me.

I smiled to myself wondering what the cops would think … when they found my body. Would they think I had just returned from a glamorous night out? Or, even more flattering, from a romantic rendezvous with one of my alleged lovers?

Or maybe they won’t even come looking.

I smacked my hand against the vanity dresser top, hanging my head at the thought. I felt one mascara blackened tear run a trail down my powdered face. I reached up blindly and felt around for a Kleenex, hoping to stop my makeup from running before it was completely ruined.

They have to come looking. Surely someone would notice me gone?

          I held my head up and looked at the mirror, beginning to re-apply my eyeliner. When I was done I looked around at my dresser top. The bottle of sleeping pills, the bottle of brandy, the crystal wineglass…. These were my true friends. Then a sudden, brilliant thought struck me deaf.

          No one will know.

          No one will ever know the horrors I went through trying to get to where I was; everything I dealt with as I kid. Someone should know. Someone should inform the California- bound girls with stars in their eyes that Hollywood isn’t all glitz and glam. It’s pain, suffering, and breaking your back and your morals to make a name for yourself. It has a darker side far different from the one you see on TV. It’s all about the sex, the drugs, the money, and just how well you can lie about all three.

          And if no one else will tell them … I will.

          I grabbed a piece of paper and an ink pen and started writing.

        I am Evelyn Sierra Nicole Oaks. In almost every interview I’ve been in, they’ve asked me to tell the ‘true story’ of how I got my start, how I became famous. I always gave them the sugarcoated lies about ‘golden opportunities’and  the ‘luck on my side’. But I’m going to tell you the real true story in a world where that usually doesn’t exist. Everyone has their own version of the events and in this town, Hollywood has a version, the elite have their version, and I have what really happened. This is for everyone with dreams of making it big here, for those who made my life hell, and those who I betrayed. I hope this explains everything.

        It started… when I was six…..