XIV

XIV.

Sophia awoke within the night, the brawny man's arm wrapped tautly around her within the large bed. She squealed, prompting his eyelids to flutter open as they released an emerald stare.

"Sleep," Kane told her grumpily; for, although the prospect of the girl within his bed had been a grand source of pleasure, he had desired further rest.

Sophia struggled beneath him.

Kane rather enjoyed the tussle, the blonde's hips bucking against him, though he released her passively and positioned himself near the other end of the bed. Having hardened from her touch, he groaned deeply, but all manner of respect was maintained.

"I must call my driver— I—"

Kane was promptly upon her once more, his breath hot within her ear. "If you won't let me sleep, then perhaps you are interested in a different activity."

The lush between her legs throbbed and she reddened in embarrassment, the man having largely excited her.

Kane sensed this and was promptly appeased, rolling back to his side of the bed with a deep chuckle within his throat. "I have told you," he muttered, burying his head within his pillow. "You are to stay with me now. You are not permitted to leave."

Sophia clutched tighter at the fabric of the sheets. "This is kidnapping!" she exclaimed.

Kane released a throaty laugh. "Where would you go, sweetheart? Home? It is no longer safe; my father wants yours dead. You are fortunate for my fondness for you. Viktor has likely sent men of his own to find your location."

"But, Maeve! And what about poor Henley? I cannot stay here if I can't ensure that they will be safe!"

Kane ran his fingers through his thick, black hair: a sign of his wrathful temper. "I will only concern myself with your safety. If you are worried for your friend, then perhaps I will tell Helena to suggest to her a brief excursion. Giovanni could be encouraged to fly out with her to France."

"And my father's chamberlain? Would he be able to join them?"

Kane laughed darkly. "He knows of the consequences in the event that he decides to stay at the estate, following the news of your absence."

The statement had inferred to Henley's compliance; for, as Aleksander's chamberlain of twenty-three years, the elderly man had been informed of his relations with the Russian mafia. He had been a dutiful accessory, having known much of their illicit affairs. The Romanov man had known this, having collected payments personally from him from their shared laundering.

"I wouldn't worry yourself," he added, though Sophia had fled the bed and had seated herself across a leather, tufted chaise in defiance.

"I cannot leave him there to worry about me. Henley has been with us for so long; he is family."

Kane was amused at her tetchy pout. "Oh?" he questioned, throwing the velvet blankets from him and fixing to sit with her upon the leather chaise.

He grasped her chin and angled her face so that her stare met his: an act of possessiveness in which he largely favored. He did not understand the sentiments she held towards Henley; his upbringing having taught him to tread in the company of friends stolidly.

"And what is it that you would have me do?"

Sophia was met with deep emerald. "Warn him. Please," she pleaded.

Kane leaned back within the chaise, his square jaw tightening. He was already acting behind his father's back in keeping her there in secrecy. He studied the girl sternly, noticing that her eyes had welled with tears. "What will you grant to me if I do?"