Prologue

He turned off the lights as soon as the clock signalled that it was already bedtime and finally climbed into his bed. He breathed heavily as he finally laid himself to sleep...

"Q?" I suddenly approached to check if he's already about to sleep.

"Mmm?" He just answered.

"Will mom and dad ever be alright?"
I asked, and as the usual, my brother sighed. Even in the darkness, I know a fake smile is trying to linger on his face. He always does that kind of expression whenever I get to ask him about our parents.

It's been three months since our parents left us for work; our mom, Amanda, works as a nurse overseas, and our dad, Quile, is a barista of one of the biggest coffee shops in the city... before they left, I have already felt that there was something going on with the both of them. And even at the age of ten, I knew my brother could already tell if relationships are already near to end.

"Everything is going to be alright. Don‟t worry."

"I hope. Why do people fall in love and all of a sudden they‟ll get themselves hurt?" And as expected, he did another fake smile by the sound of his chuckle...

"People fall in love in different ways, A. We don't get to choose who we get to fall in love with... but we have to keep guard of our hearts and be ready of getting hurt because of all the risks we might get to take along the way... hearts are wild creatures that is why God made our ribs to serve as their cages."

I didn't say a word; not because I didn‟t understand what he meant, but I was thinking of a catchy reply to my incredible brother's words of wisdom.