Chapter Two

Okay, most fruits have negative calories. Does the cafeteria carry any fruit? I usually just skip, anyway. Guess I can just do that again. Think I will go sit in the quad and draw. Hopefully there's not anyone out there. I don't think I can stand the taunting today. Do I have any pretzels in my pur-

"Marianna, I swear, why do you zone out like that? What are you thinking in that head of yours? Thinking about pizza and ice cream?" Blaire asked, bringing Marianna from her thoughts.

Yeah, just rub it in how much better looking you are. Just because I'm not thin like you obviously means that all I think about is greasy, nasty, disgusting junk food.

"No, thinking about skipping lunch and going out to the quad to draw. I'll see you after school. I have to work today, so I can either take you home then come back, or you can hang out with me at work."

Blaire looked at Marianna funny then rolled her eyes. She grabbed Marianna's arm and dragged her to the cafeteria. Marianna grabbed a cup of grabs to make Blaire happy and sat next to her. Blaire sat next to her popular friends, so Marianna tuned them out so that she could focus on drawing. Marianna had yet to tell her mom that she had applied and gotten into art school. Her mom would think that it's a waste of time. It's not like her mom would be paying tuition, anyway.

"Oh, my God. Did you see what Alice was wearing this morning? Does she think thrift shopping is cool? Besides, she's a whale. It's not like she will ever look good in anything. Like someone else we know," one of Blaire's friends said, sliding her gaze to Marianna.

Marianna looked down at her own clothes. She had no choice but to get her clothes from thrift shops. If she had her choice, would she shop in the high-end stores that Blaire and her other friends liked to shop in? Maybe, but Marianna rather liked vintage clothing and oversized sweaters. She looked over to Blaire and saw that Blaire' friends were snickering and pointing at Marianna. She was afraid of what they were saying, but knew that it wasn't good after the comment one had already made. Looking to Blaire, she hoped that her friend was sticking up for her. But to Marianna's disappointment, Blaire was snickering, too.

Feeling hurt beyond words and not wanting to sit where she was any longer, Marianna gathered her things and headed to the entrance of the cafeteria. Throwing her untouched grapes in the garbage, she quietly slipped out of the doors. Marianna didn't want to cry, and hoped that she wouldn't unravel in public. Too long of dealing with her mother taught her not to show emotions.

Marianna could feel her chest getting tighter and her breathing becoming labored. She may not unravel, but it doesn't keep an anxiety attack at bay. She didn't know where she was heading, but she knew it was as far as possible from Blaire. Suddenly, Marianna ran into what felt like a wall. She fell to the floor, surprised, trying to catch herself. As she hit the floor, she realized it wasn't a wall she ran into but a guy around her age. A tall, very well built guy around her age.

"Oomph. Well, I guess gravity still works. Thanks for helping me check that. Good to know I can always count on gravity," she said as she tried to pick herself up off the floor.

"Well maybe you should pay attention to where you are going," he said, turning around. Marianna had to keep herself from gasping out loud. She had seen that he was tall and muscular; but now she could see that he was attractive. He stopped speaking as his crystal blue eyes peered down at Marianna and his jet black hair flopped into his face.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I really don't have a filter on what I say. I'm not that mean and rude, I promise."

He helped Marianna off the floor and picked up her sketch book that had fallen out of her hands. Marianna shakily took the sketchbook, not trusting herself to say anything. She could feel her fair skin blushing from the contact of his hand to hers. He grinned slightly, and stuck out his hand.