Chapter One

IMPORTANT!

This chapter will be narrated by the main character. You'll understand in a sec. Also you have to read the description to understand what's happening. So she's already going to 2nd grade so she's 7-8-ish. This is where she met Ame.

______

Maybe you'll just laugh when I tell you, or write it off as a fairytale. It couldn't possibly be true. I mean, how could it?

This is a story about my life, and it's true, every word of it. How the boy I fell in love with was also a wolf.

-------------

I was named Hotaru, meaning firefly. As crazy as it seems I was named that because the night I was born a lone firefly flew into the room and landed on my head! My parents thought it would be nice to be named firefly after that little bug.

During grade one I was always alone. I noticed another boy sitting at the other side of the class who was never had any friends and never participated. Like me.

I remember second grade. The time when I became his friend.

----------

"Loser!" One guy shouted and pushed him to the ground. I ran up and pushed the guy back from Ame. The two guys stumbled back, scowled at me then walked away.

"Hey there! You okay?" I ask and stuck my hand out to him, which he takes.

"Why did you do that..?" He asks.

"'Cuz I wanna be your friend!" I say excitedly.

"My friend?" He asks in a disbelieving tone.

"Mmmhmm!" I nod my head and lead him into the classroom.

---------

Then when I was in grade three I skipped school because Old Man Foxy--that's what I called him--wanted to teach me that day. I sure was surprised when Ame showed up though! I had my suspicions that he was a wolf but I'm pretty sure he was surprised as well.

It's not everyday you see your best friend turn into a wolf.

-------------

A groan came from my human mouth as I tried to listen to what Old Man Foxy tried to instruct me. "I can't doo it!" My nine year old self whined.

"Just listen to your surroundings. Feel the grounds vibrations." He explained.

"Okay." I say and concentrate.

He sighs suddenly. "And why are you not a wolf?"

"Oh yeah! I forgot! Sorry!" I apologize and change into a white wolf with a black underbelly.

"Now concentrate." He instructed.

I let my mind at ease and my muscles relax as I listen intently. I hear lapping of running water from a small pond not far away. The hooves of deer as they danced through the valleys of green blades of grass. "I hear it....Something's coming this way." I say to Gramps and stand tall.

"A visitor." He chuckles.

"Who is i--" I was cut off by a young figure of a boy my age coming out of the bushes. Ame? Is he a....is he like me..? I ask myself. He comes out fully and looks at Gramps then at me and his eyes widen.

"Hota--" I cut him off my shifting into a human and tackling him in a hug.

"AME-KUNNN! YOU DIDNT TELL ME YOU WERE A WOLF! YOU SHOULD HAVE TOLD ME!" I screeched an rubbed my cheek against his.

"What do you mean? You didn't tell me either!" He says back and I let him go and look at Gramps.

"This is my best friend Ame!" I tell Old Man Foxy. "Ame, this is Old Man Foxy!"

Gramps sighs and I grow ears and a tail that sways madly behind me. "Well? What is it, Ame?" I ask Ame.

------------

That day gramps taught us both about the forest, as me and Ame looked up things in the school library and at his home. I grew quite acquainted with his mother and sister.

Ame's mother would bring me and Ame to her work and we'd talk to the old wolf that was there.

Those were good times. Until the storm hit.

---------------

The rain pounded heavily as I ran through the forest, looking for shelter. I came across a cave. One that I had never seen before. I looked around and I notice that I wasn't in the same forest. Good. I will accomplish Gramps' wish for me to explore. For me to feel freedom. To run off and travel. Meet things. See things.

Gramps has passed on. I felt it through the wind that howled through the trees. Gramps. I think to myself and sob. I see the storm coming to a halt and the sun arising from the sky.

A howl was let out into the air. Ame's howl.

Ame. I'm sorry for leaving you. I apologize in my head and howl a long, sad, goodbye to the forest.

-----------

That was six years ago. I am now 15. I'm no longer the same person I once was. I mean, we all have to grow up sometime. Become more mature. Learn new things. Experience tragedies, happiness, sadness, pain.

I've experienced those already.

Besides, we all have to grow up sometime.

----------

Omg have fun reading this erodrelle