Chapter 1

"Wow, Mom." 

"'Wow'...really?" 

"Yes! You look gorgeous! See for yourself!" 

I guided my mother to the full-length mirror near her bedroom door. She looked at her reflection for a minute before I repeated, "You look gorgeous!" 

Mom turned to me before smiling, "Thanks, hun." I just smiled back. 

"Shannon, almost ready?" We heard my dad call. Mom looked at herself in the mirror again and called back, "Almost." I took a step back and reassured her, "You're gonna blow Dad away!" Mom smiled and replied, "I hope so!" Then she gave me a quick hug and wrapped her shawl around herself a little tighter. I trailed behind her as she exited the bedroom and made her way down the hall to the living room. My mother stepped out into the room, gestured to her sexy black dress and ensemble, and confidently asked, "What do you think?" I peered out into the living room to see the reactions of my father, sister, and grandmother, who were sitting on our giant plum-colored sofa watching tv. Grandma and my 10 year old sister, Elle, were grinning from ear to ear. Dad stood up and looked at my mom in awe. "You look beautiful." He complimented. Mom blushed as she thanked him. "Wow!" Grandma and Elle kept saying as they smiled at Mom. "You look gorgeous!" The three said in unison.  

"I told you!" I said to Mom excitedly after the rest of my body joined me on the other side of the doorway. She smiled and said, "You were right! Thanks, Ave." 

"Alright, we should get going before we miss our reservation." Dad urged. "Okay, okay, we're going." Mom responded. Grandma and Elle rose from the couch and the three of us walked my parents to the door. They kissed us goodbye and started down the walkway once they reached outside. "Be good, girls." They both said sternly. "Avery, I mean it. Don't give Grandma any trouble." Mom shot at me, then thanked my grandmother for staying with us for the night. We said goodbye and told them to have fun (but not too much fun) and closed the front door. Today was Mom and Dad's anniversary, so they were going out for dinner to celebrate. Elle and I were going to stay by ourselves while they were out, but Grandma insisted on staying with us. Most kids would be excited that their grandma was babysitting them, but we see ours on a regular basis and she can be pretty annoying at times. She also gets upset when Elle and I fight, which is literally most of the time. 

But my sister and I reluctantly decided to tolerate it for the evening, because our parents hardly ever went out without us. They never did much for their anniversary and only on some years would they go out for dinner- the last one they went out for was 3 years ago for their 25th anniversary. This year Dad decided he couldn't wait for their 30th to do something special, so now off they were. And Elle and I would have to tolerate Grandma for 1 of 2 rare times this year. The only other time is when Mom and Dad go on their Annual Vacation every May. They leave for a full week every May 9th, no matter what day of the week it is. My family and I always knew it as a vacation they took to have alone time with each other and to relax without having to worry about us kids, the house, or our family's ever busy schedule. So during that week, Grandma stays at our house with us and takes care of us while our parents relax in paradise. When Mom and Dad get back, Grandma always takes a short vacation. I always thought it was because we drove her crazy while Mom and Dad were gone, but recently I learned it was for a different reason. 

As for tonight... Grandma and Elle returned to the couch and unpaused the tv, and I bounded up the stairs and isolated myself in my room for most of the night. 

••°°••°°••