chapter 1

The phone rang and Francis hurried to answer it.
"Bonjour, this is Francis Bonnefoy Kirkland speaking," the Frenchman spoke smoothly. His smile soon fell and his eyes began to water. He ran his hand through his hair, breathing more rapidly. Francis wasn't sure how to respond to this news. "Okay.. okay.." he responded to the caller, trying to calm himself down before he started crying on the spot. After a few minutes, he hung up, still attempting to recollect himself.

Alfred walked in. "Hey, pops," he greeted his father. "Kiku was gonna come over, but he wanted me to ask you first." Alfred noticed Francis  sniffling. "... What's wrong? ...Papa?" Alfred walked closer to Francis, who turned around and hugged him, sobbing, letting all the sorrow out.
Alfred froze, unsure how to react to this. He'd been so used to bugging Arthur all the time  he had no idea how to console his father. Hesitantly he patted his back. "Hey, dude, it's okay."
Normally his parents would've bothered him about "improper ways of addressing your elders", but today Francis was too engulfed in the recent event to care.
Alfred sat Francis down on the couch, who covered his face and continued crying as his son grabbed a tissue and handed it to him. Francis took it, sniffled, blew his nose, and cried some more.
"What's got you so down, Pops?" Alfred tried to seem nonchalant even though, admittedly, he was worried.