Chapter 9: Dracula's Room

Dracula and Lis had walked slowly back to the hotel. Her mind was still freaking out when they got back.

"Come with me. I'll show you to your new room then you can get your stuff." Dracula led Lis down a very long hallway. At the end of the hall was a big door with a golden handle. Dracula opened the door. The room was dark and lit only by a few candles. Black drapes hung around the room. There was a single large coffin in the center of the room, a chandelier over it. One wall was mostly window, one had the door, another was black except for the hangings, and the wall accost from the door hung a portrait. The portrait was very large but most of it was covered as though in tribute to the lady in the portrait. The woman had pale skin, wavy hair, and green eyes. She wore a black dress. She had a black choker with a reddish gem on it.

I've meet her! "I know her." Count Dracula looked at Lis. "There's a whole legend around her."

"A legend?"

"They call her Lady Lubov, but her name is actually Martha. The story is that a lonely count met her by chance, and they say that no two souls were ever more meant for each other. Eventually, they settled down at Castle Lubov and had a child. But then, a horrible tragedy happened. A fire started mysteriously one night, and it killed both of them. When I was at the castle, I could still feel their powerful love and she was still there. I talked with her a bit and she said she knows the count still loves her. They say it's as if a soul is still trapped in the ruins themselves but really she's just waiting for her chance to crossover."

"The legend is wrong. It was only the wife that died." Dracula pulled the black drapes that hung over part of it down, reviling a man beside her. The count was Count Dracula.

"Oh." Nothing would come from her throat so it all built up in her mind giving her a headache.

"And it was no mystery who killed her..." Dracula continued staring at the picture as he spoke. "...it was humans." Dracula paused for a moment more before speaking. "They are the real monsters. I built this place for my love, to protect her child. As a father, you do everything to keep your family safe, even if you have to break their trust."

"That's why you did it isn't it? That's why you made a fake village." If only he knew what people were actually like today, then he wouldn't think that way. "You could come out of hiding." Lis spoke softly.

"Can you tell me for certain that if we came out in the open, everyone would accept us?" Dracula didn't speak softly. In fact he was almost yelling. "Everyone?" He braced himself against his old coffin and breathed deeply.

"No. You're right. Not everyone would. I think a lot of them don't even accept each other..." Lis shook her head and closed her eyes. How could they accept monsters into their everyday life if they can't even accept each other? Lis said nothing more.

"You can sleep in my coffin for now. Get some rest Lis. Tomorrow night is Mavis's party... and Johnny was the party planner this year." Dracula walked out of the room.

Lis walked to the coffin and lifted the lid. The inside of the coffin was padded with a thick red cloth the color of blood. Lis kicked off her old boots and climbed into the coffin. It's so comfortable! The lid was still open as she gazed upon the face of Martha in the painting. I don't begin to compare with her beauty yet he seems to love me. Lis continued to stare at the portrait until she fell asleep a smile on her face.