Pickup

I saw the easiest point to propel myself above the fence and soon after I was elevated. My line of vision was higher than it had ever been and while trees and bushes marred my vision I still felt like this was not a time for thinking, but instead I should take a million moments to take in the sights and how everything changed now that I was more than twice my height. Except, I can't just stop thinking like I'm a handheld gaming console who ran out of battery charge. I can't be on the brink of unleashing the glitch Charizard's and decide to pull the plug on the whole operation and slide the little knob to "off". I was standing there, with one foot on the wooden fence that my Abba had to chainsaw the top off of and another purple brick wall that went from my house to the nasty neighbors. I could see the pristine homeowner's community with its perfect grass and little contained back yard boxes. A man in the distance stood with his dog. If he looked in my direction, what would he do? I thought of jumping into my own backyard, but the man's attention was idle and my own moved on.

I was only up here because I was sent to get a report card from my middle school across the street so I could stroll back to find my parents absent and the house locked. I couldn't just mull around waiting for them to save me while I hid in the receding shade as the sun raged on to leave deep scars in the earth before its darker side forced it to calm down. Today was my first day of high school. Tomorrow would also be my first. After a last minute change in where I wanted to go to school my mom and I were sent on a goose-chase for all the papers that apparently I had misplaced, even though all the birth certificates rotted away in the same place and I had no need to pluck mine out from the official paper mess. Either way I was here on top of the fences, on top of the world and underneath my fear. I saw a glimpse of the people there that were brought to each other like weak magnets in those halls. I was a piece of plastic among the metal. I was invisible. My reputation was one I silently instilled... unless I changed it. Maybe I could do it; maybe I of all people could start talking to other people. Maybe I would call my friends my friends and maybe one of them would find us alone at the end of a Friday and lose the time to talking until he leaned in and let me let him kiss me. I'd get scared and run off, only to call him later and gush in the umbra of the event.

Hah! That was funny, to think I would call someone.

I pulled out my clunky cell phone out of my pocket and glinted the sunlight off of it.

Maybe Maybe Maybe