19: A RAPTOR's GREETING

They stood in silence for a minute after Galiathan left. Alsin eyed the raptor from the corner of his eyes, swallowing down unsettled nerves. Beside the claws, the razor teeth, and the strap, the mystical beast looked harmless. He stood with a straight back and puffed out chest as if he was the head of this castle. Plus, he was a head shorter and if he smiled more, Alsin could possibly say he looked more appeasing to the eye than his friends back at the bridge.

The raptor twirled his strap between clawed fingers and equally studied him back. He shook his head as if he truly did not like this delivery but could do nothing about it. "Human, unbind yourself."

Alsin scrunched his nose at the raptor's edgy, soothing voice with his constant slurs of S's and C's. "Raptor, I give you the permission to call me Sir Alsindad."

His head tilted to the side and his yellow eyes seemed to glow in outrage, "You are going to learn your place here."

"Oh really?" Alsin bluntly said, his fear and anger deteriorating into annoyance. A bubble of laughter expanded in his chest, which he pressed his lips together to prevent it from bursting.

The strap whipped his left arm so fast it took Alsin a minute to realize what just hit him. He backed away and rubbed the spot. "Ow. You little lizard."

Alsin stepped forward, right hand curling into a fist and aimed at his head. The four wraiths grunted and aimed their spears at him to stop him in his path. The raptor stood still with a sense of calmness, his disgust spilling from a scaled face.

"Do you see these wraiths, human," he said with a soothing voice, "These are not your ordinary wraiths. See Her Majesty created them with blood to be loyal to both her and I. That means they are our eyes and ears. You try something stupid and they will not hesitate to kill you."

Alsin shifted feet glancing at each wraith whose merciless faces glared at him. If what the lizard was saying was true, it meant he would always be watched even when he thinks he is alone.

"Now. Do as I say. Unbind yourself."

Alsin sighed and did as he said, shaking his head in disbelief. One day, when he escapes this hellhold, he will find the giant and kill him. He handed the shackles to the creature, but he stepped away. So Alsin let it drop to the floor, a shattering sound echoed around the foyer.

"Follow me," he hissed and strolled down the hallway.

The shadow guards nudged their spears at him warning him to listen. He flashed his hands to the sky and quickly walked to catch up.

"I will not give you a tour. You will learn the castle eventually," the raptor said.

On the right, they passed closed burgundy doors and a similar pair to the left, which were propped open to a large sitting room.

"Quite fancy, hmm," Alsin muttered. His eyebrows shot up by how neat and lively the room looked. Even the curtains along the windows were draped open to let the outdoor light enter. A plain entranceway sat across the room probably leading to another part of the castle.

He stayed on the creature's heels and imagined himself slapping the back of his scaled round head. Within a few paces from the rooms, the hall opened up into a larger foyer, shaped in a rectangle. Directly to his sides were cream staircases that followed the walls. At the top of both staircases sat a round balcony onto the second floor. And the pattern continued upward to a fourth floor and a fancy ceiling.

"Whoa," he said amazed by the amount of daylight pouring down from glass windows in the ceiling afar. He returned his attention to the raptor that had stopped at the center of the foyer where a large table sat with an adornment of flowers. Those lizard eyes continued to eye him in scrutiny.