Chapter Two: Serpent of Flames

Pulling hard on the reins, Edward brought his horse to a halt. He turned and scanned the woods behind them, searching for those six men that he knew had made it through their only obstacle. The pack made up of traitors fleeing toward Tentis’ side prior to signs that his plans would be fulfilled. Those men—like the proudest Barbasian, but choosing evil over good—had willingly taken a faithful leap. While Edward Angelius lived, he swore their safe landing was not waiting below; he would not allow their treachery to go unpunished.

    He refused to allow a title originally destined for him to get taken, especially by an enemy masquerading as their friend because Samson Angelius denied his royal advisor could betray him. It was an unfathomable thought that he wouldn’t consider possible.

    Sam breathed heavily, leaves crunching beneath his hooves. They held their breath when they heard a sound, which was followed by the hoot of an owl. Nothing for now, they were safe to carry on.

    Their destination was several yards away. A small wooden house at the base of Valentine Mountain—it’s windows glowing with a welcoming warm light. Cool nights such as these made them seem even better. Just to chase our chills away, it is usually soothing. At that moment they felt their confidence increase tenfold.

    On any other night, Edward might find himself resting peacefully in the library, reading ancient tales and drinking his favored white wine. His bare feet would be near the fireplace permitting tepid waves to heat them. If his brother had continued taking his advice then this never would have happened. As it was though, life had come with unexpected twists in the form of Christopher Tentis.

    They didn’t have time to rest, though. Work before pleasure and all that. Six men could make five minute respites end in fatal ways. No matter how astounding life may get, someone is always waiting in the shadows to make it worse. They triumph when you fall.

    Several days earlier, Christopher Tentis had approached Edward in his mediocre way of intimidating his enemy. He expressed his make-believe concerns for the king’s health. As Tentis put it, “These atrocious undertakings have gone on far too long. Our leader is withering more each time his newborn is taken from these walls. Whatever you assume I am doing, I assure you that you are mistaken. His children should be here, if only for his highness’ sake.”

    Edward’s spy disagreed and told more sinister stories.

    “He is wicked,” Dave the spy had said. “This man our honorable king trusts has plans for killing him, for slaying Queen Angela, and for you, Sir Edward… I’m afraid the gallows are what he intends to use on you. Charge you with their murders, so he can turn the kingdom against you. He wishes to make them cheer for your execution.”

    It would take plenty more than a traitor to stop Edward, let alone hang him while other conspirators taunted him, calling him insulting names while throwing stones. Barbas was his kingdom—his home—and there was nobody clever enough that could take it from him.

    Edward had sailed upon the Fortitudo Leo on southern seas. He fought swashbucklers attacking cargo ships. He visited islands whose residents trembled fearfully at creatures terrorizing their villages. His devoted fellow sailors assisted him during his greatest battle against a wyvern (two legged dragon with wings) and the island people swore their allegiance afterward.

    He knew to kill a snake; you must first remove its head. Tentis had taken a third of the Barbas castle guards, putting himself at the head, which meant he was the man they needed to kill.

    When Sam arrived at the house, two satyrs came out to meet them. Upper human torsos came together with their lower goat bodies that allowed them easier mountain climbing abilities. They originally separated themselves from others, but Audric changed their minds as well as their hearts. Single acts of kindness can soften many stony hearts.