Three- Aftermath

Three- Aftermath

Blake

As the fuzziness increased and decreased around my eyes, I attempted to look around. Widening my eyes, then squinting them, the blackness just continued- nothing helped. I fell back to the ground with a thump. I blinked for a few long seconds, and tried to sort my brain out. I did not just get attacked by a flying girl. That's impossible... Unless she is an..- I shook my head vigorously. What kind of angel would ever go near a devil? I mean, I know angels' instincts suck, but still. We disgust them.

After several drawn-out moments, I finally came to. I sat up, but instantly felt the affect of the 'crash'. "Whoa, okay," I said to myself, but soon realized I had actually spoken. Steadying myself, I looked for what had hit me. Or what I had hit. Whatever.

I turned  around -slowly, as to not knock myself out- and gasped. There was a girl there. I've got to be going crazy! I growled and vigorously shook my head once more. I slammed my eyes closed, then opened them. Nope, she's still there! 

I got up, brushed myself off, staggered a bit, and then advanced towards her. She was awake; I could see her brilliant blue eyes shining in the now-dimmed sunlight. 

Stepping forward, I started to ask, "Are you-?"

"Get away from me, devil!" The way she had said 'devil', gods, I nearly snapped. I was so taken aback, however, that I could do nothing except for watch. 

I saw her amazingly white feathered wings unfurl and stretch out. They were missing quite a few feathers, which confused me. When our feathers get far enough from our wings, new ones just appear in the old one's place. 

Her eyes snapped at me, and it felt like she could see straight to my soul. Oh, that was creepy. Sooooo creepy. She was still on the ground; I had watched as she tried to move but fell straight back down. The poor girl looked like she was in a lot of pain.

Ignoring her comment,  I walked to her quickly; probably too quickly, but I needed to do something. Neglecting to acknowledge her constant squeals and pushes, I proceeded to help her stand. Something that I did acknowledge was yet another -racist- comment. "Will you listen to me?! I don't need any help from a devil." That was it. I was going to freak.

"You know what, bitch?" I seethed, and I was certain my eyes had turned a bright crimson. "I don't think I really have to listen to you since you nearly took my freakin' head off with that little trick of yours. What the f-"

"I hope you're going to say fudge and not the word I'm thinking of," she interrupted. I growled, and she shut up.

Clenching my fists over and over again, I snapped, "I'm really not in the mood today, little miss halo." She stared at me hard, but didn't say anything. "Just be happy that I cared enough to not rip your face off."

"Oh, yes, I'm sooo very grateful!" She pretended to bow to me, and I just shook my head angrily. Her expression was hard when she added, "I could do this all day, sweetstuff."

Laughing humorlessly, I asked, "'Sweetstuff'? What's that supposed to mean?" Leaning in and putting in a cute voice, I added, "Are you just afraid to say the 'b' word? 'Cuz I promise I won't tell 'God' on you."

She snorted. I noticed the smallest bit of a sad expression under her anger, but I had doubted that it was really there. Looking away from me, she puffed, "I'm pretty sure God wouldn't care much about me right now."

I cocked my head and tried to look at her face, but to no prevail. Trying to attempt to keep my now decreasing anger burning, I grunted, "Yeah? Well, I'm pretty sure you're perfect, just like all of those other 'princesses'." She looked at me, her expression completely unreadable. While she blinked, I could feel my anger rising once more. 

Of course, I didn't want every angel in the world to think that I was evil, but damn, that girl was incredibly good at pushing my buttons. 

Clearing my throat, I asked, "Where the hell did you come from, anyway?" I heard her sigh, as if she was hoping I wouldn't ask just that.

She closed her eyes. "Actually, the exact opposite." I must've looked at her funny and her eye must have been open, because she quickly added, "Heaven."

I laughed, embarrassed that I hadn't gotten the joke before. "Lucky bitch." Every devil wants to see Heaven. I've heard so many rumors about it being  less great than our first stage of Hell, but I thought it could be greater than that. That was our 'Heaven in Hell'. 

"Yeah, not so much," I was going to ask why, but the look on her face and some feeling in my gut made me clamp my mouth closed.

I thought about something else to ask, instead. "Well, you have somewhere to go, right? Surely not here, though.."

Her head turned the slightest bit to the right. "What do you mean?"

I laughed again. "This is Blackcroft. Nothing goes on here!" I paused, "Of course, that doesn't stop it from being a demon and angel hotspot, " I muttered.

I hadn't realized we were walking until I nearly tripped over a fire hydrant. I heard a tiny female snicker, but I let it go. "So, um.." she was nervous- I could smell it, which is saying something. Angels got the noses and devils got the ears. I couldn't smell for shit. I turned my gaze towards her, and let my expression soften. "Where exactly are we going?"

I shrugged. "I figured you were going home or something." I looked at her again. "You do live in a house, right?"

She smiled sheepishly. "I've never been out of Heaven before.." Instantly her face was grim. What the hell was up with her? I chose not to ask.

"So you have no home, you don't know where you're going... Hey, do you know anyone here?" She shook her head lightly. "F... " She shot me a look that didn't look very friendly. "-udge..."  The angel smiled, satisfied. "Well," I said, lifting my arms above my head in a stretch, "it looks like I'm gonna be the one looking after you."

"I'm not a puppy." 

"Yeah, you might as well be."

She had so many different expressions. The one she held on her face at the time seemed confused. "Why do you want to help me?"

"Why are you so surprised?"

"Well, everything I've been told about devils is bad. From what I know, I figured you'd just walk away..." she trailed off. I saw such a distant look in her electric blue eyes; when I looked deep enough, she seemed so sad. Why would such a beautiful girl with such privileges be so sad?

Thinking quite a bit before answering, I replied, "Maybe they just haven't met the right devils."