Untitled Part 1

Bright light pressed against my closed eyelids. I vaguely felt the restraints on my ankles and wrists as I tried to move them. I was not aware of how long I have been stuck in this hospital, but it has felt like forever. I forced my eyes to open, even the slightest bit was enough for the light to assault my eyesight. The same doctor from before was here; and as per usual, he was readying a syringe full of this liquid from a tiny vial. The doctor met my gaze, his eyes met mine with pity and guilt engraved in their irises. He knew what he was doing. He knew it was destroying me further and further with each injection. I cannot pretend to know his motivations for why he chose this course of action; and personally, I can say that I myself have almost journeyed down the same road. Then, like clockwork, my eyes began to close as my mind slipped out of reality.

~♠~♣~♥~♦~

    My eyes narrowed on my surroundings as I attempted to ignore the feeling of being watched and followed. Something was amiss as I continued my walk through the town. This particular feeling had been with me since the start of my journey after I visited Dr. Carter at my darling Elmira's request. She had insisted upon it since according to her I looked "ill". I could confirm that there had been a cough that had been bothering me as of late.

    I warily glanced over my shoulders, gripping the cane tightly. I had mistakenly taken Dr. Carter's and had not realized until I reached Baltimore. The feel of the cane was not the same as any normal cane which helped soothe my incessant anxiety. The handle was smooth and curved which offered for a decent grip in case I had the need to use it to defend myself from any attackers. I felt the familiar notion of my chest tightening, which made me pull out my handkerchief and coughing into it. I paused for a moment to regain my breath, pulling my cloak tighter around me. The chills I was suffering from were making excellent leeway. That was when I came face to face with a man who was well-dressed. His clothing was made of the finest materials but with the most ridiculous of designs upon them.

    "Ah!"He exclaimed in complete delight. "Perhaps you are the famous Sir Poe I have been reading about of late?"

    I couldn't prevent my right eyebrow from rising up as I examined the man in front of me. "That is a question I would rather not answer. May I inquire as to why you are assuming that I am him?"

    The man in front of me was in his mid-twenties or quite possibly his late-twenties. His face would be considered handsome by many women. His jawline was quite strong. His cheekbones were noticeable, but not overly noticeable. He had a nice sense of symmetry to his face. His eyes, however, were the darkest brown I had ever seen. They were almost black. He bowed deeply to me, making sure to remove his hat so it did not land in the mud.

    "My name is Sir Reynolds Aldridge, and I just know you are the ever famous Sir Poe! I am a fan of your work!" His smile was charming,like that of a snake's. "Please follow me, sir. Now that I know you are here, I cannot allow you to remain in an inn for the night!"

    My mind was deducing how he could have possibly known that I was here with such ease. I did not deem it to be a coincidence. The earlier suspicion of being watched and followed proceeded to return at full force, making me doubt his sincerity. This young man gave me the feeling that some of the characters I have created gave me. They could easily blend into society feigning interest and kindness, but at the same time, they had the ability to think up a plan to kill every single person in the room if the time came. He was too similar to incite any notions of comfort around him. However, common sense dictated that I do not humor him and regain the distance I originally had from him.

    "I'mafraid you have the wrong man, Sir Aldridge." I stated, dipping myhead to him slightly. "I wish you the best of luck in finishing whatever endeavor you've been sent out to do."