2. Back to the Beginning

Take my word, if you're talented at something, it'll end up in a roller coaster ride. I started playing guitar and writing songs when I was nine. Ever since then, the words were always flowing. I never showed anyone my songs. Ever. 

Until the boy next door moved in. He and I spent every moment together, from twelve years old and onward. 

I would play guitar and Shawn would write lyrics and sing them to my chords. We were a crazy duo. And then, he decided to post himself singing on social media. I remember when he started. 

"Julia, come on. It'll be fun!" he coaxed. 

"I don't know. It'll be weird seeing myself online..."

"Oh come on, you're nice to look at."

"You're nicer," I teased, although it was true. "Why don't you post some yourself? I think people will love it."

And so he did. And I pushed myself out of that picture, unintentionally. I don't know what would've been different if I had agreed to be in those videos. If we would have been a duo, if we wouldn't have gotten half as many views because I'm not a heartthrob like he is...

I keep torturing myself with these kinds of what ifs. Flash forward now to eleventh grade. 

"I posted a Justin Bieber cover," Shawn said to me one night on the phone. 

"Hey, I'll check it out."

He was amazing. There was something about this cover that made my heart jump out of my chest. His voice hit the notes, adding his own flare. It definitely showcased all his talent. 

"Wow, I've got one talented best friend," I said, after listening. 

"Yeah I do," he laughed. "You're equally as talented!"

"See you tomorrow, liar," I said. "Night."

"Night."

We hung up the phone. Little did I know, that night, everything would be completely different. 

*

The next day, I walked into class, and everyone was buzzing. People were gathered round their phones, and I rolled my eyes. Probably some stupid cat video, or something...

All of  a sudden, I felt myself being bulldozed over onto the ground. A very ecstatic Shawn was on top of me. 

In theory, some part of my heart jumped out of its chest for some odd reason. Another part of me wanted to throw him off for TERRIFYING me. 

"Shawn, what the hell?" I yelled. 

"Check the views!"

"What?"

"Check. The. Views," he was out of breath. He shoved his phone in my face and I saw that his video had 15,000 replays. 

I widened my eyes. 

"What?" I stared longer. 

"Look at my followers, they keep going and going! I can't breathe." 

I looked at Shawn and pulled him into a huge hug on the ground. I kissed his cheek, and we got up. We started jumping up and down. 

"God, this makes me nervous. I don't want this many people watching me!"

"What?" I asked in disbelief. "No, come on, Shawn. People are finally paying attention to something other than that I Knew You Were Trouble goat version! They're listening to something good!"

"I don't know-"

"Shawn," I said, grabbing his shoulders. "You have to do this!"

"Why? It's not like I'm going to become the next big thing."

"Why not? You're good looking, your voice is angelic, your original songs are amazing-"

"Yeah, because we write them together! I don't write songs without you! And I can't perform in front of people. That's just not- not a thing..."

"Shawn, please. Do it for me."

"For you?"

"You have so much talent. And if they want a songwriter, I'll help. Seriously, I love you, and I think you'll want to pursue this."

"God damnit. I love you too." 

He pulled me into another hug. 

"Come on, I'll come over after school and film with you," I said, sitting at my desk. 

"Alright, can we also finish that song we were working on?"

"Yeah, sure."

"I want to sing it for Mel tomorrow."

I nodded, trying to act happy. Mel was his girlfriend. She HATED me. She really, really did. And I think it's because she thought I was trying to steal him away, but she can't wrap her mind around the fact that Shawn and I have been best friends for ten years, and I have NEVER made a move on him or anything. 

I wasn't in love with him. He knew that, but she didn't. But, he doesn't know we don't get along. Of course he doesn't. 

But, I hate that we're writing a love song for her. It makes me gag. 

"Cute," I murmured. 

"Alright, I gotta get to my first class, but I'll see you after school!"

He turned to leave, but before he was gone he said my name again. 

"Hey Jules," he said. I turned around. "Imagine our lyrics being sung by a crowd of thousands."

I laughed, as though it were impossible. Too bad it wasn't far off at all...