18.

I was 13 years old babysitting for a 10 month old baby. I put him to bed no problem and go back into the living room to watch TV. It's maybe 7 pm, parents due back at 11. I'm pretty paranoid about sleeping babies so I go back every maybe 20-30 minutes to make sure the kid is still breathing. At around 9 I check on him, all is well, and I go back to the couch. As soon as I sit down I hear a peal of laughter. Not baby laughter either, high pitched creepy laughter. I think "oh ok cool, kid must have woken up" and go in to check but the kid is dead asleep. Hm, I think. And go back to my perch in the living room.

Then I hear it again along with a creak. So I sit there for a minute and weigh my options. There is clearly a killer in the house, that much is clear. I'm right by the door. Do I flee and get help, assuming he won't kill the baby if I leave it alone? Do I rush in and grab the kid to bring him with me, hoping I don't run into the killer during this act of heroism? I decide I'd rather die a hero than live with having abandoned a baby so I head to the kid's room, creeping along softly. I go into the room, kid is still asleep, am bending into the crib to pick him up when I hear the creak and laughter right behind me. I screamed and turned around, ready to meet my maker and there is no one there.

The kid is (weirdly) still sleeping so I pick him up and am ready to bolt when I feel a breeze on neck and again the laughter. By some miracle I don't drop the baby when I whip around to once again face the music. Then I notice the rocker in the corner slowly moving with the breeze coming through the open window. "Great, a flipping ghost" I think, "worse than a murderer!" I am staring right at the corner when the laughter happens again, coming from the chair. I turn on the light, agitated at this point. The rocker was gently bouncing onto a tickle me elmo. I hate those toys.