Part 2

Mikey's POV

The days pass slowly now. I've immersed myself in my search for Raphael. Every night we patrol the streets searching for some clue as to his whereabouts. I refuse to believe that Raphie is dead. I just don't believe it. I-I can't.

My brothers are in pain. I can see it. Even though they try to hide it from me. At any other moment I would be trying to cheer them up. But not now.

Now is not the time for jokes or laughter. Not now. Not while our hope is wearing thin.

Sensei keeps a candle burning in the dojo. Several times he has tried to contact Raphael spiritually, but so far, there has been nothing. I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not. It could mean that Raph isn't dead so his spirit can't be reached, or it could mean...

My heart is heavy. I cannot remain aloof in this situation.

A frustrated yell came from the dojo.

I shot up off the couch and dashed into the room.

Leonardo's hands were bloody and raw. He leaned all his weight against the punching bag, one arm in front of his face.

I didn't have to look to know there were tears rolling down his face. I rushed to his side and pulled him away from the bag slowly, keeping one arm around his shoulders so that I could guide him away gently. Leonardo kept sobbing. I cooed gently and sat him down with his back against the wall. I wrapped my arms around him in a comforting hug.

I can't even count the number of times Leonardo himself has comforted me in much the same way.

As we hugged, Splinter and Donnie burst into the room looking concerned. I sent them an 'I got this' look and they nodded with understanding.

It was my turn to comfort and reassure. To convince my brother that everything would be alright. The way Leo always did. The way Raphael always had.

I hugged Leo tighter. Fear filled my heart. Leo seemed to feel my distress for he reached out and returned the hug. His sobs began to die down. He looked at me, his eyes red from crying so much over the past few days.

"Mikey I-"

"You don't need to explain, Leo." I stated. "We all feel the same."

Leonardo accepted that with a nod. Donatello and Splinter watched silently.

"But we can't give up on him." The others looked at me with sad, pitiful eyes, like I was a little child who didn't understand the finality of death. For a moment I was shocked beyond the capacity to produce sound. Then my eyes narrowed with anger. "You can't seriously believe that Raphael is dead!" I yelled, my fists clenching and unclenching.

Donatello approached me, his eyes narrowed. "What would you have us believe Mikey? It would be cruel to prolong our suffering by maintaining false hope!"

"It isn't false hope!" I exclaimed, my ears disbelieving. "How?" My eyes began to cloud with tears, "How can you just assume that Raphael is dead? We have no proof! No verification! Only Shredder's word. You honestly believe him?"

"Then what would you have us believe Mikey?" Donatello repeated, exasperatedly.

"How should I know? I'm not the genius, bro." I shrugged, saying the first thought that came into my head, "Maybe Shredder's holding Raph somewhere and letting us think that he's dead."

Leo, Don, and Sensei exchanged glances.

"That's...plausible." Leonardo stated, slowly.

Sensei frowned. "Shredder does not usually take prisoners without a reason."