Prologue

Steven's POV
Please don't end this way! I told myself. You can do it, your a crystal gem! My positive thoughts did no good. The yellow gem grabbed at my throat. I struggled and gasped for air. "Let me go!" I shouted, kicking my legs hard at her. "Let me go now!" My voice echoed through the dark and cold night, yet nobody seemed to hear. I continued kicking my legs, harder and harder. My lungs started to burn, and I felt like no air would come through. That is when the crystal gems came.
I fell down onto the ground, gasping for air. My body felt shaky and weak. I felt someone pick me up. It was dad. "Its OK, Steven." He said, rubbing my hair. It made me feel as I was a baby again. He set me down on the sand. He was acting strange, like he wasn't nervous at all. I decided to take a quick look in the van. My dad was still sleeping. "Strange." I whispered, feeling someone touch my back. I quickly turned around, seeing another gem in front of me. She held a crossbow in her hand and grabbed me by my throat. I screamed with all my might, making the whole city wake up. A quick second later, I felt a sharp pain in my chest, and fell to the ground. Then everything blacked out.
~~~The Next Day~~~
Pearl's POV
I held the picture snug against my chest, with a tear rolling down my face. "Oh Steven!" I shouted, keeping the picture up to my chest. Greg walked in the door, holding one of Steven's shirts. "I'm going to miss you." He said, sniffling. I moved my hand down between the couch cushion, pulling out his phone. I dialed Connie's number which was in the contacts. The phone rang a full 3 times, before a "Hello" greeted the phone. "Hello, is this Connie?" I asked, trying not to sound sad. "I need to tell her something about Steven." Instant murmuring filled the speaker. "Well..." I continued.
Papers flew across the room as Connie burst through the door. "Is what you said true?" She asked, nearly crying. I slowly nodded. "Yes, I'm so sorry, Connie." She started to burst into tears. I let her cry on my shoulder for a bit, until she got up. "How did this happen?" She sniffled. "I'll tell you later." I said, giving her another tight squeeze. "I'm going to miss him." She said, looking up at me. "We all will." I said, looking up at the sky. "But, at least he's in a better place now."

A/N I hope you enjoyed this chapter! It is very suspenseful in the first chapter. I dedicate this book to rosythecat, Ivone7, Sparkstorm15031, SUbloodstone, Unicorn_QueenJ, water23, for being followers, or because your just plain awesome. Bye!