Chapter 4

I loaded the groceries onto the island where Mom was singing along to her Kitchen Music Playslist. These mothers of the 21st century think they can get away with just about anything these days.

"Here you go Mom."

Helen continued wipping the kitchen counters with a bit more sashay than necessary. She obviously couldnt hear me over Stevie Wonder. I repreated myself a little louder. Breaking out of her kitchen seductress mode, she turned to me and said. "The Greenidges are coming over for dinner."

She can not be serious. They moved in a hot second and now we're having dinner together?

"Dinners at seven Hon, be there or be square."

"Wrong century Mom." I hollared as I made my way to the back porch.

It was sunny, but not unplesantly hot. I leaned back on the beach chair and closed my eyes. Everytime I did that these days, Graham's eyes seemed to be tattooed on my inner lid. A choir of giggles were turning the corner of the house. It was Cassandra and her posse of equal gorgeous friends. 

"Oh you're back."

"Yeah. That happens time to time when you live somewhere."

Brushing off my sarcasm as usual. "Spenc, I invited a few new friends over to hang out by the pool." Surprise surprise. "You might wanna change or something." she continued. 

"Why? "I asked. The reason was perfectly tanned, about 6 feet tall, topless and lived next door. I could have died of embarrassment. There was I, dressing in a tank top and jeans on a beach chair pool-side. Who does that? Really? Who?

Lucky for me though, Graham barely seemed to notice that I messed up the dress code for this gala. 

"You know Graham from next door" introduced Sandy, as though they've been friends since elementary school and are just reuniting. "And this is his little brother Kyle." She didn't introduce Kyle with as much flare as Graham but he didn't seem to care. Kyle seemed more eager to get into the pool than meet so average teenager chick. Kid is barely old enough to start puberty let alone hang out with a bunch of high school babes. Graham coughed/chuckled/choked and recovered quite quickly. My sisters hands lingered on Graham's chest a little too long for my comfort. Back off Cat Lady. 

"Pleasure meeting you again Graham." I think that was a little too formal for this occassion but oh well. 

"Same to you" he said with a slight smirk. I was all goop on the inside by now. The heat from my blushing and embarrassment couldn't fit in my face soo it melted everything else left inside my body except my pounding heart. 

"Without further ado guys, lets take it to the pool, shall we... " said Sandy. Her hands seemed to be glued to his chest right about now. 

I mustered as much elegance as possible with my jello for legs and hastened up stairs to change into my swim suit. 

********************************************************