Prologue

James couldn't help but stare into her eyes. They were emerald green, speckled with dashes of chestnut brown. Alaska Taylor was most definitely the most graceful, beautiful person he had ever seen. A curtain of long brown hair fell over her shoulders, framing her unforgettable eyes. 

"I don't need a perfect life," she'd say, "I have a happy one."

James thought she was strange. Strange, yet beautiful. She was the kind of girl he could stare at for hours without looking away. But it was her personality that threw him off. James didn't understand it. He didn't understand how Alaska could consider herself happy after all these years. After all, her father had left her when she was young, her younger sister was deaf, and her mother was practically a zombie. Still, she managed a smile.

Alaska spent her days dreaming about her father coming home. She'd dreamt that he had come home and cured her mother's depression, took care of her little sister Nova, and finally became a father. It was no denying that Alaska cared about him, which is what bothered James the most.

"Forget about him, Alaska," James would tell her. But no matter how hard James tried, Alaska never listened. She would simply turn away and disbelieve all his words, disregard all of her suspicions. 

Not to mention, Alaska was practically her sister's mother. Since Mr. Taylor left, Ms. Taylor always wore a miserable expression. She spent her days moping around the house without the energy to do anything. Whenever Mr. Taylor was mentioned, she would begin to cry. She never got over her husband's departure, leaving Alaska as the housekeeper. Nova didn't know how to speak since she was born a victim of hearing loss. Whenever she wanted something, she had to write it down and Alaska had to deal with it.

Compared to Alaska, James was raised in the lap of luxury. Despite the fact that his parents were insanely strict and over-protective, his life was - though he hated to admit it - pretty good.

But little did he know, all of his plans would soon be ruined by one life-changing incident.

Determined, he kept a spark of hope.

And it all began with two words,

"Dear Alaska,"

DEAR ALASKA, - COMING SOON