Chapter Twenty- Scars Tell Stories

Karley

"How are you?" I asked Savannah. Today was my day off and I had been getting the feeling, that she was hiding something from me. I find out, but not from her... the news of all places. It wasn't like I didn't the reason she didn't tell me, it just hurt that she didn't trust me. Trust me to help her. "I heard about -"

"Do you think they know?" she asked looking at her hands. I was right, she didn't have the courage to tell me. She was nervous, but it was the reason I found her cute, since she would looked at her hands, allowing her hair to hide on her eyes. "I was going to tell you, but... I -"

"I understand, you panicked." I didn't blame her. If I found out my Dad was let out of jail... if he was alive in the first place, then I would panic and wouldn't be able to even look at Kelvin, even if my brother couldn't, or didn't want, remember the man. "You don't need to beat yourself up, we've all done it."

"I need to tell everyone... but I can't."

"Do you want me to do it?"

"I'm scared?"

"Why are you scared?"

"That he'll hurt Rosa."

"And why is he going to hurt Rosa?"

"He'll rape her!"

"I thought they were related?"

"Chace only cares about sex. My Dad only cared about sex..." Savannah said her face going bright red. She had told me about her Dad, sort of, she broke down crying and I never asked her about him, not after that.

I was there during Chace's court hearing. I knew that the bastard was guilty, but e didn't get charge with abuse, since Rosa and Logan were too young and Savannah was still in hospital.

"Sweetie, I don't think Rosa will look for him," I told her. Making a note to talk to Rosa later, it was one thing to defend yourself from bullies, but a young teen shouldn't be going after known rapists.

"She'll try to hunt him down, and she'll be the one who gets hurt. Not him."

"His not allowed to come back into the state, hon."

"Like that'll stop him."

"I'm sure something will stop him."

"No, his going to get me. The world just loves to torture me, doesn't it?" she said wrapping her arms around her body, tears going down her face. "What did I do wrong? Was being born really that much of a crime?"

"Sweetie, you've done nothing wrong. Don't think it's your fault, you were just really unlucky," I told her, pulling her into a hug. I would always be there for her, I know I messed up once, but I was going to see her hurt, not again. Not after last time.

--

"What happened?" I asked the doctor, but he only looked at me. I was Savannah's emergency contact, since her parents had passed and she didn't have any family left. Or she didn't know where they were. "Can you tell me what happened to Savannah Alexander, I'm Karley White her contact."

"Stab wounds, she's still in surgery. She's lucky not to have any nerve damage," the nurse said from her computer. Nerve damage? Chace stabbed her? Why didn't she call me, right. She had lost her phone. According to the police the phone lines were cut. Damn him, he knew she would be alone. We were just lucky, she was paranoid enough to enter Rosa and Logan's timetable, under different names.

"Where can I wait for her? And how long is it going to take?"

--

"He's not going to get you," I told her. I wasn't going to go through that again, we were lucky that I had added her to my private health over, but we were still out of pocket a few hundred. "He's not going to get Rosa or Logan. I swear, after all, karma has missed him for too long."