Chapter one

Handsome, charismatic Adrian Hardy was hurrying down the aisle of the train heading towards Golden Fields, his forehead puckered into a frown.The death of his younger sister had not only given him a nervous breakdown, but more importantly sent his marriage plans up in smoke.

Being a slightly pragmatic and very ambitious man, Adrian's feeling of grief was mixed with disappointment, for marrying Becky De Lisle could have given him everything he craved: money, connections and a status. He had not made a single mistake: he spent hours with her mother and her friends, her father and his friends, proposed to Becky on a starry night in Paris... And now, because of this terrible event, he was forced to leave his beloved one, set aside the wedding preparations, and urgently get to Golden Fields, his home town, which he had not visited, or wanted to visit, in a long time.

Convinced that the police weren't to find the murderer of his sister, he had hired a private detective, who was suggested to him by his friend. Theodore Banks described Alice Riley, for such was the detective's name, as surprisingly clever, snobby, cold blooded, and even slightly frightening.

Ms Riley was to be also on this train, and had appointed a meeting to Adrian on this car, but no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't find her. It was either the amount of wine he had had was blurring his vision, or Alice Riley was wonderful at hiding.

Adrian paused, disturbed by the feeling of somebody observing him from the back. He turned to meet eyes with the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. The turquoise eyes of this unearthly creature had a mischievous spark, her skin was like porcelain, flawless, and her tender lips were curved into a mild smile.

Dazzled, having forgotten how to breathe, Adrian was staring at this marvel of nature, unable to utter a word, until a tug on his sleeve brought him out of the trance. It was none other than Alice Riley, the 'phantom' he had spent twenty minutes looking for.

"Oh, you must be Ms Riley..."- Adrian stuttered, still feeling disoriented.

"Miss Riley. Please have a seat."- Alice said, lighting a cigarette.

Alice Riley was a girl of nineteen, still unpleasant enough to be sixty-two. She had a somewhat disturbing predatory grin, emerald catlike eyes, and long chestnut locks. Despite her chilly, sarcastic manner, she had a good deal magnetism in herself, and never hesitated to use it.

"A wonderful weather we're having, aren't we?"- her deep, hoarse voice interrupted the silence. The weather was indeed beautiful, for a pitch-dark, stormy night, with rain beating ruthlessly against the windows, accompanied my exploding booms of thunder and sudden flashes of lightning.

Adrian gave a short, nervous squeak of laughter. Miss Riley was far more than slightly frightening.

He tried to look behind his shoulder unnoticed, just to catch a glimpse of the girl he had seen earlier.

"I see you are interested in Labina Kira."- Alice smiled.

"You know her?"

"No, I had not had the pleasure of being her acquaintance, but I happen to know a few details. Still, if she is of a great interest to you, you can hire her."

The statement hit Adrian like an electric shock.

"She's a ...?"

"Yes."

Adrian sighed with bitter disappointment.

"And now let me ask you a few questions."-Alice once again broke the uneasy silence. "For how long haven't you seen your sister?"

"Five years."

"Have you kept in touch?"

"Not really. I've sent her letters once or twice, but her replies wouldn't be of any use."

"So, you have no information about any of Lydia Hardy's affairs?

"No."

"That is all I need to know." 

Adrian got up, feeling that his legs were beginning to stiffen.

"I am going to the next car, do you care to join me?"

"Thank you, but no."- came a chilly reply, which Adrian was somehow glad to hear. He got up, and soon he was in the other car, left alone with his thoughts. He opened a window, and a refreshing blow of cold wind with massive raindrops hit him in his face.

"Adrian?"- a soft voice asked from behing. He turned around rapidly, and met face to face with Labina Kira.

"Y-Yes, that's me."- he muttered. She smiled, and only now he noticed that her skin had a slightly greenish shade.

"I overheard you talking with that girl."- 'that girl' sounded slightly rough. "I heard her saying 'Lydia Hardy'."

"That is my sister. Or was."-Adrian said.

"Oh, now I see. I know something about her. She- She-" Labina broke off. She clenched her throat, choking.

"Are you alright?" - adrian got worried.

Labina trotted backwards, stumbled across something, and fell to the floor. Adrian leaned over her.

"Help!"- he cried.

 A crowd of people gathered around Labina. With the last of her strength, she whispered into Adrian's ear: Angus...Angus...

And then she died.