3: Training Up

Finn was not happy with the training arrangements.

"Come on boys!" I said, breezily, walking into the Training Centre. "Onyx is relying on you two cooperating."

Daniel didn't seem too bothered. He followed Finn meekly, saying nothing.

"This is bloody ridiculous!" Finn cussed. "I've had my training."

I raised an eyebrow. "Then this should be a breeze."

The Training Centre was empty, a bright, white building with a few complicated markings on the floor. From the roof hung racks of training drones, the metre-long ovoids awaiting instructions. There were glass cases in the walls which held weaponry, and the room smelled like metal and sweat.

"Granger's told us to try out the new Simulators." I announced. The new gadgets had been installed to train new recruits. Daniel had used them, but back when we did our training they hadn't even been invented yet, and we'd had to use captured dragons, with cannons on standby just in case. The new simulations were much safer and allowed for smaller groups to practice alone.

"I think we'll start with a Lyndi." I punched the combination into the nearest machine.

"A Lyndi?" Finn scoffed, "What is that, level two, basic practical training?"

"Three." I corrected him. "Like I said, should be a breeze."

A training drone descended from the ceiling on micro-thrusters. The manipulator arms twitched as the logic circuits in its mechanical brain ran through the commands I had put in, before the hologram generators shone to life. The little ovoid of the drone disappeared as the bright green form of a Lyndi materialised around it. A slim, elegant creature, not unlike a gecko in shape and appearance, only with wide, wispy wings. It was certainly one of the prettier species, swaying as it moved. At twenty feet long, it nowhere near filled the vast hall.

Finn moved almost lazily, grabbing a LSC from the wall racks, hefting the bulky weapons as if it were nothing more than a paperweight.

Daniel ran over to the traps cabinet. "Finn, distract it, I'll set up a net."

Finn was almost yawning. "Don't bother. I've got it."

Within two minutes, he was pinned down by the remarkable piece of technology. I watched, waiting until the last second, when I saw the fire sparking out of the corner of it's mouth. Just as it was about to let loose, I pulled the switch to reset the simulation. The hologram faded from view, and the drone's manipulators released Finn's arms, drifting back to the start position.

"Why didn't you set up a net?!" Finn stood up, glaring at Daniel.

"You told me not to bother..." Daniel almost squeaked.

I rolled my eyes, "First rule of hunter training." I spoke sternly. "You don't go in alone."

"Well that's fucking cliché." Finn folded his arms.

"It might be cliché, but it might save your life." I paused. "Peter went in alone."

Finn's expression changed suddenly, and he tensed. "That's different."

"It wasn't. If he'd have properly told someone what he was going to do, they could have stopped the missiles, or helped him get out."

Finn shook his head. "Stop it." He suddenly sounded like a child.

"Peter's death was a tragedy, but it could have been avoided."

"Shut up!" Finn's voice cracked. "You don't know what you're on about!"