Act One

(In waiting room; lights shine only on the waiting room set and not on the patient room)

Husband: (Excitedly) We're here. We're really here.

Wife: (Sighing slightly) Darling, try not to get too wound up.

Husband: Wound up? I'm oozing with happiness! This is a monumental moment for our lives together!

Wife: (Smiling) Yes, Dear. (Takes Husband's hand) I'm glad you're here with me. I'm rather nervous.

Husband: Everything will go perfectly. (Glances at holographic screen displaying current status of Doctor's availability) I wonder what's taking him so long.

Wife: We aren't the only ones in need of his practice, Dear.

Husband: (Fidgeting and anxiously squeezing Wife's hand) I suppose...

Wife: (Gently pulling hand away from Husband's grip) You're hurting me.

Husband: Sorry, Honey. (Pauses) What do you think it will be?

Wife: There is no way to know yet. Just relax. (Kisses Husband's cheek lightly)

Husband: You're right. (Calms down a bit, but wrings hands)

(There is a serene silence that sets in. After a few seconds the doctor enters through the door. Husband stands. Wife peers out from behind him.)

Doctor: (In a loud, flat voice) Follow me, please.

Husband: Thank you.

(Wife rises; takes Husband's hand; both follow Doctor into the patient room; lights dim on stage left and brighten on stage right)

Doctor: Ma'am, please sit on the examination table. Sir, you may sit there. (Points to the chair)

Husband: (Helps Wife onto hovering table, then takes his place) Thank you for seeing us on such short notice, Doctor.

Doctor: (Fiddling with small device on the counter) It's nothing. Are there any concerns that either of you have?

(Wife and Husband exchange a glance. Neither say anything)

Doctor: (To Wife, having turned on the device) Lay down.

Wife: (Obeys, making no noise as she shifts her position)

Husband: (Motioning to the device; in a worrisome tone) What is that?

Doctor: (Bored) This will, after scanning your wife and then connecting it to its receiver, tell me the gender of what you are expecting. (Holds device over wife's midsection)

Husband: (Tentatively) Is it safe?

Doctor: (Slightly irritated) Yes, I assure you.

Wife: (Still, but breathing heavily)

Doctor: Ma'am, your heartrate is increasing.

Wife: I'm sorry. (Tries to calm her breathing, manages to maintain a steady pattern)

Doctor: (Turning off the device) I have finished. I will be back with your results shortly. (Leaves through the door, exits stage completely on stage left)

Husband: (Approaches Wife and takes her hand lovingly) Are you okay? I hope he didn't hurt you with that thing. I can't believe how lucky we are! Can you believe it? I can't.

Wife: We aren't lucky, Dear. This happens to so many people.

Husband: (Shrugs) What do you want it to be? I think I'd prefer... But maybe it would better if it were... Either way it will be ours to care for, won't it, Love?