SURFERS PARADISE 4

Hospital Life

Becky spent the next two weeks in hospital next to Alex's side, apart from when she went to church twice. Each time she went everyone prayed for the recovery of Becky and Alex, they all believed that Alex would wake and remember and that she would be healed and walk like nothing ever happened. The doctors apart from Alex's dad the priest, kept telling us that time is a big factor and change should have happened by now, but we all believed in Gods timing.

Tuesday afternoon and Becky had a fourth physio appointment. With Dr Cloid.

'' Your recovery is going very well better than expected, the test results have come back and now that the swelling has gone down we can tell that it is not permanent but recovery is still going to be a slow process as you start to regain feeling.'' Explained Dr Cloid

''That's great news, Thank the Lord!'' Becky's mother said with great excitement!

Another doctor entered the room and stood waiting for Becky's mother and Dr Cloid to finish talking.

''I guess its good news for everyone then today'' said Dr Saners

''Whats the other good news?'' asked Becky

''Well, Alex is awake and communicating slightly, you are very, very blessed! You can go and see him if you want to?'' said Dr Saners

''ALEX IS AWAKE'' yelled Becky

Tears rolling down her rosy cheeks. Becky rolled herself down the corridor of the hospital until she reached Alex's room. Becky expected him to be sitting up, eyes open and observing the world. He wasn't he was in the same position as when he wasn't awake, dishearten Becky hesitated to entre the room.

What if Alex doesn't remember me, I could be a complete stranger who has feeling for someone who doesn't even remember me, I could remember our memories but he couldn't. What if he looks at me and doesn't say anything. Don't! Think positively Becky!

Becky entered the room wiping the tears away from her eyes, she took a deep breath and continued through to his bed side.

''Hi'' Becky spoke quietly trying not to disturb the silence that surround the room.

Alex laid staring out the window at the beautiful view of garden and palm trees. Becky wanted to move him into her room which had the ocean view.

He rolled over and stared at Becky for a few seconds which felt like hours to Becky, waiting to see if he would remember her face. He rolled back over saying no words, he started to stair back at the view.

Silent tears ran down Becky's face, she wanted to run, run fast out of there and scream but she couldn't simply because of the fact that she was in a wheel chair and at that time in her recovery was not able to run. It was because she was frozen with some hope left that he may still remember, frozen with fright and frustration.

''don't cry'' quiet words spoken from Alex

Although these reassuring words from Alex made Becky realise that he was okay, more tears streamed down her face.

Alex rolled over and gave a big smile the same cheeky smile like he had done when they had first met. Becky smiled and started laughing, not sure why she was laughing but she knew that a miracle had just happened. They sat in silence for a while. Becky held Alex's hand as if he was more fragile now than when he was not awake. Becky knew that Alex was struggling with his words so she didn't expect him to be his chatty self.

''Becky, thank you'' only a few words at a time could spill from Alex.

''Alex, what for?'' asked Becky still talking very quietly.