Chapter 10- Turmoil

Foxy walked into the school, noticing that nobody was at their usual places. The hallways didn't bustle with life, his friends weren't anywhere to be found. He felt alone, as if the whole school was empty. He heard rushing footsteps behind him.

"Foxy!"

It didn't sound like Maggie's voice, but it's a voice he'd heard before. Usually over the loudspeakers. It was the Marionette, a senior like them, and arguably the biggest teacher's pet in the entire school. Foxy immediately turned around.

"What is it?"

"Oh, Foxy... you haven't heard, have you..."

"Heard what?"

"... Maggie..."

"What about her?"

"She was, um... s-she was... hit... b-by a car... she'd been walking alone. There are no classes today... oh Foxy, I'm so, so sorry..."

Foxy froze, eyes widened. This had to be a joke. This was all a prank, right? And Maggie would jump out from behind the lockers and kiss him and say "Just kidding!"... wouldn't she? This couldn't be happening. She couldn't be in the hospital right now... or worse. Could she?

He managed to stammer out "... e-excuse me." before sprinting away and into the boy's bathroom, promptly throwing up his breakfast into a garbage can and punching a paper towel dispenser at the same time. He heard the slightly satisfying crack of the metal as paper towels started flying into the floor.

He started speaking to himself, a nervous habit that seemed to comfort him at times. But now, it wasn't doing anything.

"I should have never let her walk home alone. I should've been there. We shouldn't have gone out in the first place. It's all my fault... all my fault."

Marionette leaned in, mumbling "Hospital room 87, if it helps" before walking away again.