Spirit Bottles

"Will you be with me when the time comes?" Caitlyn asked.

Her voice was soft and cracking due to dehydration. Even with the saline solution being pumped through the IV she was still far too weak to talk properly. Her lips were white and cracking like the earth in Death Valley. Henry tightened his grip on her hand, not by much but to acknowledge her request.

"What happened out there?" he asked.

"I will tell you, but first I need some ice. Feed them to me as I talk so I can at least keep my mouth wet enough to let you know what I saw."

Caitlyn's breathing was labored. This and the dehydration caused her to talk much slower than she normally would.

Henry released her hand and went to get some water. He came back with the little pink bucket filled to over flowing with little square ice cubes. Caitlyn's mouth opened slightly and he slipped one in. He noticed even her tongue was a pallid pink, almost white. Once the ice was in her mouth he reclaimed her hand, it felt like leather. Her face looked fifty.

"I decided to go into the mountains for the weekend. The sun was bright and it would be a great camping trip. I had been to the Flatirons many times, so I decided I would go more towards the Devil's Backbone."

Caitlyn paused here, her thin hand reaching for the little pink bucket. Henry saw what she was trying to do and fed her another ice chip. Her eyes closed with her mouth as she let the water slowly trickle down her throat.

Henry took her hand once more; this time he noticed she was still wearing her ring. It seemed like it should have fallen off long ago. The band was far too large for the little meat she had on her hand, but it still would have a little trouble getting over the knuckle, not much but enough to keep it on.

"I knew that area was known to have covens. There was a community that lived there which everyone knew was into that shit. Most people thought they were into Wicca, but a few said it was much worse than that, that some were into darker things. Things which would make the devil blush. I never believed any of that stuff would work, I told you that before. But I was wrong. I saw things which make me believe, make me know that something else can be channeled by those people."

The heart monitor started to race, it was the first time Henry had paid it any mind. His own heart started to quicken just from the sound. His hand tightened on her withered remains. The only reason he loosened his grip was due to the weak groan she let slip from those cracked lips.

"Sorry," he said.

"It's okay. I don't think I have much left in me tonight, but you need to know what happened. It all happened that first night. I set up my tent, God, I wish you would have come with me. I was so upset with you though."

Henry looked down at her wedding band once more. The matching one he wore on his left hand felt like a sham for the past few days. Now it was even worse. Now that his wife had been through so much, and he wasn't able to be there with her because of his stupid actions. Tears welled in his eyes, as he felt the soft touch of her dry skin enclose around the back of his hand.

"I forgive you. It was a moment of weakness, I just wish it wouldn't have been like that. But don't worry about it now, just let me finish."

She pointed towards the bucket again and he slipped another piece of ice into her barely open mouth. Once she was trying desperately to get the ice to melt he had a chance to wipe his eyes. His own hands shaking more than hers.

"I had my tent up in no time. The sun was going down and I started to hear something. At first I didn't know what it could be, but after a while I was able to make out it was people. It sounded like they were singing, which is fine, Colorado is a strange place. But I figured it may not be a bad idea to see if I could find where they were. If people were out there maybe they would want to talk. And, I have to admit, I was feeling lonely."