What Happened During Spring Break...10

Ten.

I watched with expressionless eyes as Carson, Hunter, and Jason stalked into the booth with their instruments strung across their backs. Dan, the recording engineer, Audrey and I remained on the other side of the glass booth. Spread around us were soundboards, flips, mixing consoles, and monitor speakers. All in all, it was very technical and expensive looking.

“Alright, guys, whenever you're ready.” The recording engineer announced into the microphone. Carson gave him a thumbs up.

Dan nodded and swung his gaze to Audrey and me. We sat side-by-side on plastic chairs and looked up at him simultaneously. “Sit and keep quiet.” He ordered.

I rolled my eyes and nodded slightly, keeping my arms crossed while the boys adjusted the microphone and their headsets. The lights dimmed and the recording engineer flipped a few switches. Dan handed us a few headphones and we slipped it on. Suddenly, the ON AIR signal blinked on and the room quieted. Soft chords filled my ears as the song begun.

When the first verse started, Carson's rough timbre joined the music, his voice cutting through the tune like a knife through a stick of butter, smooth and soft. I found myself leaning forward, eager to hear more. Jason's voice was striking compared to Carson's, more heartfelt and passionate but both equally entrancing.

The distinct sound of the door opening and closing behind us was enough to make me turn my head. A man in his mid-thirties paid no attention to us; he only had eyes on the three boys singing their hearts out in the studio.

The song drew to a close and the next track started. On and on it went. Song after song after song played and every time, their voices blended with the melody so perfectly that it sounded...magical. When the last song ended, the boys slid off their headphones, glancing inquiringly at the man behind us. One by one, they filed out, looking stunned and nervous.

The room was quiet before the man applauded solely. I frowned and directed my confused gaze up at Dan, who breathed a sigh of relief. “Well?” Dan prompted.

“I like them.” The man replied, giving the boys a wide smile. “Very promising. Is that your first album?”

Carson shook his head, practically beaming. “No, second album, sir.”

My jaw almost dropped. When did Carson display any signs of mannerism?

“Let's go and talk about your third, shall we?” The man gestured to the door and the boys, along with Dan, filed out. Their steps had a hyper bounce to it and I knew the opportunity was a grand one. As he stepped over the threshold, Dan turned back and gazed at us.

“This is kind of private. Do you mind?”

I shook my head vehemently. “No, no. Of course not.” I shooed him off and Audrey and I leaned back against the uncomfortable blue chairs. The only person with us was the recording engineer.

“Well?” Audrey asked, looking up at me through her eyelashes.

I arched a brow. “Well, what?”

“They were pretty amazing.” She stated in a rush.

I opened my mouth to protest but found that I couldn't. Instead, I just nodded in agreement. “They sound almost too good to be true.” I muttered. Running out of things to talk about, Audrey and I lasped into silence. I picked at my nails and stared at my shoes.

“Have you guys ever record in a professional studio?” Someone asked.

I jerked my head up and saw the recording engineer staring at us amusingly. I shook my head slowly and Audrey did the same. “No.”