Chapter 2. Awkward

Chapter 2

I stood outside the door, frozen stiff. My hands were shaking and my knees felt like jelly.

My heart beat rapidly increased each time my hands got closer and closer to the door knob.

I heard their giggling and laughing from outside the door, but I just couldn't bring myself to open it.

"Please no Maya. Please no Maya." I chanted out, squeezing my eyes shut.

My hands quivered in fear as it came into contact with the cold door knob.

I slowly twisted it and peeked through the little crack I had formed. My eyes frantically scanning the room.

Upon opening it, the smell of cookies invaded my nose, followed by the sound of an oven ding.

The first thing that caught my attention was the Christmas tree. It was lit with red, yellow and blue lights, continuously flashing and ornaments hanging on each branch.

While the  song "Jingle Bells" was echoing through out the whole house.

I heard the familiar voices of my brother and sister in law. Immediately averting my attention to the kitchen.

"Cory! Get the cookies out the oven!" Topanga shouted as she stirred a red pot with her spoon. She wore a festive green dress with a red apron over it.

Classic Christmas attire.

"No problem. And then can I eat?" He asked hopefully, rubbing his hands together in glee.

"NO!" Topanga and Shawn yelled in unison.

My eyes snapped to where I had heard Shawn's voice. He was on the couch getting all cozy with a blonde chic. She had blonde curls and I could clearly see her pale blue eyes. Her features sent nostalgia running through me, she looked too familiar.

"Cor, you gotta save some for the kids, unlike last Christmas." Shawn said craning his neck to face the pouting face of Cory, my brother.

"Who cares about the children? This is my house!" He shot back.

"Uhum!"

Riley and Auggie were sitting by the Christmas tree, glaring at Cory. Their heads turned back to face the wrapped gifts in their hands. Continuously shaking it.

"What you think you get?" Auggie asked shaking his box rapidly.

"I don't know... But I'm hopping it's a new phone!" Riley voiced out with a hopeful smile.

"Fat chance!" Cory replied.

"Maya! Stop picking on the food!" I heard a voice chime in.

She had a strong Texan accent but I already knew whom it belonged to, that blonde chic. Her command, followed by Maya's familiar laugh.

Maya...

She wore a red shirt under her wool white jacket and a pair of jeans. Her blonde hair was covered by a big red Christmas hat.

My pounded against my chest, hearing the beat echo into my ears. My cowardice demeanour allowed my hands to shake even faster.

I can't face her. I should just-

"Daddy! There's an eyeball at the door!" Auggie yelled as he stared me dead in the eyes.

Thank you, Auggie.

"What? What are you-" I yanked my head back, panicking at the sound of my brother's voice.

In a blink of an eye, I was dragged in by  a powerful force by the sleeve of my jacket.

"My brother!" Cory yelled pulling me into a warm bear hug.

"My brother..." I timidly muttered out, looking down.

"Uncle Josh!" I heard Riley and Auggie scream as their footsteps grew louder and louder, towards me.

They wrapped their arms around me and pulled me into a another embrace.

I couldn't help but stifle a laugh. I looked down at Auggie who had grown much taller and Riley who was at my ear.

"Hey Josh!" Topanaga greeted from the kitchen.

"Josh!" Shawn acknowledged as he strolled towards me with the blonde still clinging to his arm.

The more I looked at her the more reminiscent I became with her face.

Immediately, one word popped into my mind ; Maya.

"Hello Josh, I've heard a lot about you." She greeted me with her Texan accent.

She shot me a warm smile and held her hand out for me to shake.

"Urmm..." I nervously tucked my left hand at the back of my neck as I held my other hand out to shake hers.

"Hi... Ms..." I trailed off, unsure to whether this was Maya's mother or not.

"Hart. Josh, this is Maya's mother." Shawn cut in as pat me on the back.

I knew it!

"Oh, nice to meet you Ms. Hart!" I replaced my nervous demeanour with a warm smile, giving her a better impression.

"You too, Josh."

Waking over to the couch,  I placed my bags down and sat.

"Uncle Josh-" I looked up to see Riley holding Maya by her shoulders.

Maya...

"You remember Maya, right?"

"Riles stop it!" Maya protested.

"Sure do." I replied, pursing my lips into a straight line.

This is awkward.

Someone save me.