Whiskey Flavored Kisses

There once was a boy with brown eyes and brown hair that was wont to curl if it grew too long.

He was a lovely boy.
A beautiful boy.

When he smiled at her, she smiled back bigger, brighter, and with cheeks flushed with the promise of youthful love and not so youthful intimacy.

But, she was careless, and he was raised to know his worth.

So.
He left and she cried.

The girl eventually grew into womanhood and the boy became a man.
With brown hair that hung down in brown curls and wicked sense of humor.

Still she loved him.
For decades she missed him.
And the ache was sharp and stabbing and hurt so much most days she could barely breathe.

Years flew by, as they do when life happened.
Sometimes, if time was right, the moon was full it he was just drunk enough and lonely enough to forget, or remembered or not care
Then their paths would cross again  In the form of a lit up cell phone screen and text message notification.

There was definitely something between them.
Something furtive, and hushed, and whispered about only in the dark between whiskey flavored kisses.

More years pass, and as quietly as it started so did it end.

The beautiful boy that once was hers, and the man he had become came to realize that he loved.

He loved deeply and he had been blind.
So on bended knee he pledged his troth to someone that wasn't her.

He left and she cried.
But this time she let him go.

For years she had loved him
for decades she had missed him.
The ache was dull and throbbing now, but on most days she forgot it was there at all.