Reliving Halloween

"Trick-or-treat!" I smiled at the little girl standing in my doorway. She couldn't have been more than five years old, yet she was dressed in a bright pink business suit, complete with a tie.

"And who are you, beautiful?" I asked, fetching the candy bowl from the stand next to the door.

She twirled and flipped her hair dramatically. "The president," she said, a huge grin on her face.

"Ah," I said, amused. Putting a chocolate bar and a pack of gummies in the pumpkin-shaped bucket she held out, I couldn't help but add, "Well, tell the government to get a move on, would you? Things have been kind of slow lately." Though I could tell she had no idea what I was talking about, the President didn't miss a beat.

"I will, Mr." Then she was gone, racing down the front steps to where a middle-aged blonde woman stood. Giving me a quick wave, they were off to collect candy from their next victim.

I closed the door, smirking. Little kids always put a smile on my face. It was the only reason I still handed out candy. Living alone can be tough, but I always looked forward to Halloween. The little kids and teenagers reminded me of the happy times in my life when I could put on a costume and be whatever I wanted to be. Before... everything else.

The house was dark and silent as I sat back down on the comfy chair that I had positioned by the door. I liked it better this way. No distractions, none of that brutal light that hurts my eyes and makes me reach for my tinted glasses.

Another knock sounded at the door. Getting up, I peered through the keyhole. This one must be a teenager; he's at least six foot tall and dressed in black mesh that covers every inch of his body. Fake blood oozes down the plastic axe he is holding, and, though I know it is a costume, I can't help but shiver. It reminds me of something...

I steel myself and open the door, grabbing a handful of candy.

"Hello!" I say cheerfully hoping to make this one leave as soon as possible. Dropping the candy in the basket basket before he can even say trick-or-treat, I make to close the door.

But the axe gets stuck in it.

I slowly back away from the door as I realize that the light from the lamppost outside is bouncing off the axe and shining into my eyes. Light can't bounce off a plastic axe.

I stuff a hand in my mouth to prevent the scream that is building up inside of me from escaping. No. Not again!

Steeling myself for what's to come I lunge for the stairs just as the door slams shut. I jump around, eyes darting all over. The axe is gone from inside the door, and a quick peek through the keyhole tells me that he is gone as well. I sigh deeply. Never have I been this relieved.

I turn around and settle myself in my comfy chair once again.

Then I notice a gleaming coming from the shadows and someone dressed completely in black steps out from the living room.

This time I cannot prevent the bloodcurdling scream from coming out of my mouth.

"We will not fail again! You will die tonight!"