The Presence

I always think the same things over and over, is it normal to be afraid in your own home? Why am I so scared? How can I make a simple trip outside of my door not make me want to retreat?

I step past the safety of my glowing room. I take two steps forward and can already feel it. I know its there, the familier, overwhelming feeling of foreboding gives it away. What is it? I take another step forward. In the empty doorway I see a figure in the corner of my eye. My empty gaze flickers over to the figure. Gone. Where did it go? Where is it now? The feeling changes, it's behind me, so terrifyingly strong I can't cope. I sprint forward four more steps, it's right there with me, copying my steps, mimicking my movement. In the mirror on the wall I see the eyes. They pierce my soul making my body want to freeze up. But I won't. It would get me if i did that. Catch me, kill me, eat me, hurt me. I don't want to know. I spot the bathroom light switch. I sprint another step forward and reach for the string. My hand tugs the string hard, there's an echoing clunk. I take my last leap onto the cold tiles, it sends a chill through my body. For a millisecond, the presence is gone. There is peace in my mind, but then I spin round frantically and glimpse the shape of a person in the shower. I can't see their face, all they are is a shadow, then gone, whipped away by the light. The door closes and I turn the lock. I feel shaken and not intirely safe. There is a faint presence, but I feel no need to run from it. I just frequently look over my shoulder at the door, window or bath. All I have left is the run back.