Chapter Nine

"Don't even think about it." Richard warned as Tessa grabbed the sheet off the bed and began to fold it to wrap it around her bare chest.

"I have to, Richard. Tom's don't have big breasts." she replied matter-of-factly. Richard laid his hand over one of her breasts and her breath caught in her throat.

"No, but my Tessa does, and I saw those damn lines that last thing you wrapped around yourself caused by being pressed so tight against your skin. You are not doing that to yourself again. I told you before that you don't have to pretend to be a boy anymore. You are no longer a woman on your own.. You are now a woman with a ruthless, ex-sheriff, bounty hunter looking out for you and I will not let anything happen to you."

Tessa smiled happily and threw the sheet down as Richard walked away and removed some clean clothes for both of them from the saddlebags. He tossed her a shirt and pants before pulling his own on. Richard had purposely hid her duster down in the saddlebags. He wanted to be able to see the way those pants hugged her hips and rear. Once they were both dressed and Tessa had all her hair tucked beneath her hat they walked outside into the bright morning sunlight.

"Wish you'd left your hair down." Richard said.

"It would be so full of dust and dirt by tonight you wouldn't be able to run your fingers through it." she replied.

"Glad you put your hair up." he said with a chuckle. They walked into the gunsmith shop.

"What can I do for you sir and uh…. Ma'am." the gunsmith said. He had never before seen a woman in a pair of trousers with a gun on her side. Did she think she was a cowboy?

"I know it's startling at first but you get used to it." Richard said looking from the gunsmith to Tessa and back again. Tessa's opened her mouth to speak but shut it quickly and punched Richard in the arm instead. The gunsmith chuckled and looked back at Richard.

"You better be careful. Looks like you got ya a tough little woman there." he said.

"You're telling me." Richard said rubbing his arm. Then he threw the mountain lion pelt on the counter.

"I need some dynamite and some ammo for this." Richard said putting one of his colts on the counter. The gunsmith nodded and walked down the counter to gather the supplies.

"Dynamite?" Tessa asked. Richard nodded.

"The fort is old and barely standing as it is so throwing a few sticks of dynamite over the wall and making a big boom sounds like a good idea to me."

"Ok." Tessa replied.

"There ya go." The gunsmith said handing Richard a leather bag full of ammo and dynamite.

"Did the pelt cover it?" Richard asked. The gunsmith nodded and Richard and Tessa turned and walked away. The gunsmith let out a silent whistle. Just watching that little woman walk away in those tight trousers would have covered the dynamite and ammo good enough.

888

They traveled hard all day, made camp beside a trickling stream and spent the night in each others arms making love beneath the stars.

It was nearly noon the next day and dark clouds were gathering quickly. Tessa rolled her eyes and let out an irritated growl when the first fat drops of rain hit the brim of her hat.

"I hate rain." she said. Richard looked over at her and shrugged.

"Not much we can do to stop it." he said. "Might as well try to enjoy it. Just think of it as a free bath that you don't even have to get off your horse for."