Dream Seeker- Chapter Two

Jonathan sat next to her, on the porch swing, watching four yellow warblers bathe in a bird fountain. His blue eyes moved slowly across her face. She reached out to touch him, but he fell apart, dissolving like sand.

Gael sat up, drenched in sweat. She looked around the room she shared with five lodgers. The bunk beds were empty. She overslept.

She entered the crowded dining hall and sat on a table by herself, trying to discern the dream's meaning. Pax Donaldson, a fellow lodger, sat next to her. His tray was full to the brim with a grayish substance. Gael greeted him.

"Last night was amazing. I saw a green field, no buildings, no hover cars, no humans, only grass. After awhile, I realized I was in the Ancient Period. How about you, Gael? Did you find your boyfriend?" He asked, shoving a spoonful of the grayish goop inside his mouth.

"No, but I dream about him, last night."

"That's a start. Did you tell Doctor Murray?"

"I'm still considering it. I think he wanted to tell me something. When I tried to touch him, he vanished," she said, staring blankly at his face.

"That's weird. Sounds more like dream seeking than plain dreaming."

"Right? I thought so, too, but isn't astral projection extremely rare?"

Pax shrugged.

" Is that stuff any good?" She asked. The fishy smell and slimy texture was enough to make her want to vomit.

He swallowed. "Not really."

She walked through the narrow gaps between people standing in line to the food counter. Before she could reach for a tray, the guy in front of her gave her one with a smile.

"Thanks." She said.

"No problem," he said. He was wearing a black turtle neck sweater, and his bright green eyes examined her behind steel rimmed spectacles." Saw you cutting line. What's the rush? The smell coming from the kitchen isn't too appetizing."

The muscles in her face tensed. "I heard today's menu was good."

"I hope so." He smiled. "My name is David LaBraque, by the way."

He extended his hand, and she reluctantly shook it. His grip was strong and firm. She felt a sense of dread at his touch and let go.

"Gael Wilson," she said.

He nodded, releasing her hand and turning forward. She walked up to the counter, her eyes searching for the grayish goop.

"Sir, where can I find that grayish goop you were serving earlier?"

The tray line server glared at her." Are you looking for the delomophine?"

"If it's a grayish goop that smells like spoiled sea food, yes that's what I am looking for."

The server pointed to the corner where the barrel was almost empty. She dipped the serving spoon deep in the barrel, scraping the sides. She failed to get nearly as much on her tray as Pax but she didn't mind. The smell was making her dizzy.

"How much do I owe you?" she asked the large lady at the checkout.

"A tenth for the delomophine and a third for the water bottle."

She reached into her jean pockets. "Ugh, sorry, I have to go back to my room and get my card."

"Whatever she's getting is on me." A voice said from behind her. She turned around to see David grinning at her.

"You don't have to do that."

"It's fine," He said." Just make sure you eat it all. You're going to need it." There was a knowing expression in his eyes.

"Thanks." Gael walked away fast. There was something strange about that morning as if everything was falling into its proper place, orchestrated by an invisible spectator. Gael was not sure she was comfortable with that idea.

The meditation camp was located in a private reservation of natural land. The constant noise of hover cars swooshing across the sky was replaced by the subtle chirping of nature's critters. She slipped into a white silk gown with flower lace sleeves and loosely tied back.

As she walked down the hallway, she rubbed her sweaty palms against her dress.By the time she arrived at the doctor's office, she was a nervous wreck. The doctor entered the room, dark shades hiding his eyes as usual. She fiddled with her fingers without looking up.

"Miss Wilson." He said, settling in his arm chair.

"Sir."

"How are you tonight?"

"A little nervous, to be honest."

He smiled. "Did you get enough rest?"

"Yes."

"Then there is nothing for you to be nervous about. You can only do your best, right?"

"I guess."

He peered down at his notes with a quaint smile on his face.

"I see this is our last session together." He said.

"Yes, but Doctor before we begin there is something I need to tell you."

"Go ahead."

She cleared her throat. "I saw Jonathan last night."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I think he was trying to show me something."

"Where were you?"

"In a garden or some rural habitat. We were watching birds." She looked at him, intently. He made swift notes. She had never seen him react that way before. He stopped writing and looked at her.

"Gael, can you describe anything else?"

"Well, we were sitting on a wooden porch swing."

He leaned forward in his seat with a disconcerted look on his face. "And did he recognize you?"

"Yes, he did. Where was he, Doctor?"

"He could have been anywhere, in time, that is. The important thing is he was finally able to connect with you through dream seeking," He said, rising from his seat.

"But why now?" Gael watched as he paced the room, whispering to himself.

Dr Murray narrowed his eyes. "I don't know, but everything's changed. Now you have traces of his conscience left in your mind, and a successful dream seeking session can be attempted."

Gael stood up. "But you told me the odds were little to none " She eyed him for a moment. "Wouldn't a session be too risky?"

"Nonsense."

"There is no collective thought to draw energy from if its only me in there."

He stopped and stared at her. "Absolutely. This is the reason why I must find others to join you."

"What if it was just a dream, and nothing more?"

"Miss Wilson," he whispered." I have a plan. I truly believe I can find your Jonathan, but I need you to trust me. I know this is hard for you, but I promise you by the end of this you will get your Jonathan back."

" I hope so."

He nodded with a smirk on his face." There's only one way to find out."