Chapter 1

Stephanie looked around, all she could see was ashes, all she could smell was smoke. A desolate world was visible around her. She wanted to run but that would just make it worst. Still tugging her bag, she ran up the burning steps and through the smoking kitchen inhaling a face full of ashes, until she reached the fiery blaze. Two burning bodies lay motionless in the center of the blaze. Two very dead bodies. Sweat swirled slowly down her back and cheek until it reached her dry mouth. The sweat tasted like the ocean.

She ran as fast and as carefully as she could with her soft bouncy curls of dark hair whipping her face. She ran through the burning room, down the charcoal stairs, out of the blazing house and into the cold, smokey air. She was not noticed by anyone for the fire brigade was roaring loudly causing her to run faster. But where could she go? All she had known had just burnt along with her house. There was only one thing for it, she would have to escape.

Down the rocky shore, across the soft sand that she had always loved and into the black, darkness. This is the place she felt most happy. She remembered when two other alive souls ran along side with her. But not from danger, for her and their happiness. She knew those amazing times were over now. They were never coming back. Even though she thought about it all while she ran, she didn't stop or showing any sign of slowing. Not even when a large, orange and blue striped crab attempted to attack her.

There she saw it vaguely in the distance. It was a small cave just off the shore. She dived unceremoniously in to it. Under the cavernous shelter, tears welled up in her big brown eyes and ran slowly down her soft burning cheeks again but she didn't stem the flow. She knew she deserved to be unhappy. Then suddenly a soft male's voice burst out in song. The sweet song went like "Our love is strong, our love is true, our love is for you". She remembered the sweet low voice, it was Ed's, but Stephanie knew he wasn't singing anymore.

Stephanie grabbed her singed handbag and rummaged vigorously in it for the ruby necklace. When she found it, she held the necklace close to her fast thumping chest and said aloud "Mum is always watching over me and keeping me safe". Another voice sounded, this time a females. It sang with a charming voice that was even higher than a birds cry. From the words she could make out, she was singing "Rubies gleam, rubies bright, these will keep you safe at night". Stephanie sadly knew that this, like the other voice, was not real.

A bat sounded loudly up ahead as it prepared to fly out. Suddenly, it flew slowly into the cold, black, darkness and out of sight. The moon was rising slowly and was almost up when she could hear the wolves howling. Their howls send a shiver down her spine. Stephanie started to cry again and eventually with a last earth shuddering sob, Stephanie Stawberry was asleep.