Chapter 2

I made my way up the few steps that lead to the main entrance of my high school. Keegan and I had both lost track of time and when the warning bell rang we were completely taken by surprise, I hadn’t realized that that much time had gone by, but hey, it was time well spent.

During the lunch break I had discovered that Keegan was actually pretty good with a camera. He used to take photography courses, until he discovered that it was something that he really wasn’t all that interested in. He was also really into music – something I already knew of course.

I ran through the hallways and just as I reached my classroom the final bell rang. I tilted my head back and took a deep breath, thankful that I’d always gone to my locker to exchange my books for my next class before I went for break. I’d never been late for class and it was something I was extremely proud of.

Quickly I made my way to my desk. When I was seated and my Spanish teacher started taking attendance Natalie turned to me.

“Where the hell were you at lunch?!”

“I’ll tell you after the exam.”

Natalie just rolled her eyes, she’s more of the ‘I don’t give a crap’ kind of person where as I’m always referred to as ‘the goody-too-shoes’ (when it comes to adults) I think that’s what balances us out, because otherwise we’re quite similar.

Natalie has been my best friend since I can remember. Okay, so that’s a little bit of an exaggeration it’s only been about ten years, but still, it’s been a while. We knew practically everything about each other from dreams and aspirations to our deepest darkest secrets. I know sounds cheesy and lame but honestly, that’s just us.

Her shoulder length hair was crimson in colour today that complimented her Asian toned skin. Natalie was only about 5 foot 2 inches and the shortest out of all of our friends.

Our teacher Señora Ramírez started to pass out the written portion of our exam. The whole class let out a groan. We’d been dreading this day for the last week. No one was prepared, personally I blame that on the teacher, she barely taught us anything this year. Mind you it’s also due to the kids in our class.

Our class is really small, there’s only about fifteen of us and the majority of the kids are from the popular crowd who hate doing work. And if they’re not from that crowd then they’re the type that like to skip class and are more than happy to end the year with 52%.

I on the other hand, love Spanish and I actually enjoy doing work. What can I say, I’m a nerd.

So this was the perfect class for me to be stuck in for months on end. (Do you sense the sarcasm?!)

As it turns out the exam took the entire class right up to the very last second to finish. As the bell ran I let out a sigh of relief that was partnered with a feeling of accomplishment. I was done; never again did I have to set my foot in this classroom.

I was just about out the door when someone grabbed onto my shoulder bag.

 “So are you going to tell me why you ditched us at lunch, or am I going to have to force it out of you?!” She looked rather pissed off at me; I never ditch my friends at lunch without a good reason.

“Right. Well, I kinda spent a good portion of day with...” I trailed off and looked around making sure that no one I really knew was around “... Keegan.”

“What?!” A huge smile broke out on her face. “Tell me everything right now!”

“I don’t want to tell you with all these people here.”

“Fine, you’re coming over to my house.”

“But – “

“No buts. You’re coming over and that’s final.”